• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions about Brown bess Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engravertom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Having read various posts about re enacting, correct guns, etc, I am leaning towards getting a Brown Bess.

I wouldn't mind building a kit, but there are some questions I would appreciate some input on.

Anyone have experience with the TOTW kit? It looks like it could be modified back to a 1728 style? Seems pricey, and looks like a lot of work. Is the quality worth the extra $? Or should I just get the LA 1728 and call it good? How do Loyalist Arms stack up against a carefully assembled kit?

I see Dixie has a good price on the Pedersoli kit, but that puts me at Rev War, or pehaps just a bit earlier than that. The barrel is too short to make it into a 1756, correct? The lock shape precludes any modifying it to any ealrier variant, correct? That would still be too late for F&I, esp. a militia portrayal. This kit looks like a much easier project at this point. How does it stack up against the TOTW product, quality wise?

It also seems that TOTW doesn't have most of the major parts right now. Does that tend to be the case with them on that particular gun?

Thanks for any help!

Tom

Are you looking for a prized shooter or a battle worthy reenactor's firearm? I would love a custom made Brown Bess. But for what I would do with it, it's not worth it. Loyalist Arms or Middlesex Village have very nice Long Land Brown Bess's that would be perfect for reenacting the F&I period. My F&I unit allows me to use my Short Land Bess from Pedersoli. It's not correct but it's a very well made and reliable musket.

I have to agree that for reenacting use a Loyalist Arms Long Land Pattern or a Middlesex Village Arms Long Land Pattern are the guns to consider for reenacting. They are sturdy if a bit heavy and a good choice for reenacting. My musket is a Loyalist Arms.

I think you will have to decided what is "good enough", like if you were doing the late RMFT you could get a TC Hawken or a Hawken kit from TOW or other sources wich were very true to the originals, of course the price goes up with the level of authenticity and quality of parts but it is an individuals choice where to draw the line of acceptability.

Thanks for the input.

I am looking for a good shooter, but re enactment worthy too.

I am looking for that elusive "all around gun"

I want to hunt, target shoot, do some re enacting, and head towards gun building.

It seems like a Brown Bess will do it all to start with.

I guess I put the question in this thread so as to determine the respective merits of Track's vs. Dixie's kits, and whether they might result in a better end result than just The purchase of a LA musket.

It seems like the Track kit would provide a better "education", and get me an earlier firelock, and thus more re enacting flexibility. However, it will run about $300 more than the Dixie kit.

The Loyalist Arms gun would get me early, least expensive, and no muss no fuss into a good gun. No building experience though, other than maybe some mods.

I built two gunstocks in gunsmithing school from blanks, but that was around 13 years ago! I have access to all the basic machine shop tools at work, and experienced gunsmiths around if I get into trouble.

If that spurs on any advice from any folks with experience with these kits, that would be great.

If I could be satisfied with Rev war and later, maybe the Dixie Pedersoli kit gets me the best compromise for now?

Would the Track kit make a significantly better gun, in the end?

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom,

I purchased one of the Bess kits from Dixie several months ago (before the great price they are offering now) and am very, very pleased with the look, feel, and performance of the piece.

I bought the 2nd model to reenact with on occasion, but mainly for hunting and shooting purposes. I have shot it enough to have finally settled on loads and configurations for buck and ball, shot and round ball.

IMHO and I'm sure that others will respectfully disagree, I chose the Dixie model simply because when I pull the trigger with a hunting or target load, I wanted to make double sure that nothing would eventually go flying back in my face and eyes because of shoddy or negligent craftsmanship.

Having a tractor with different attachments such as a box blade or bush hog, I have seen more than one of the pins on the rear hookups snap or bend while under normal pressure or strain. They all came from India...

I know that this is always an option with every weapon, especially when you mix and match loads, but this was my main justification for buying a Pedersoli over an India model. In short, I don't want to have that little voice in the back of my mind doubting the weapon that I am carrying through the woods. (Dixie also offered a warranty on their product without further cost as well).

As for building it from a kit, I finished it to my taste and liking and filed off the Grice 1762 and Pedersoli markings. My aim was to fashion it after one of the American made, Committee of Safety muskets that resembled a Bess.

Good luck.

Gouge

I have assembeled both a loyalist arms long land kit and the dixie kit, and aside from the wood I prefer my loyalist musket, its the lock shes a beauty, the piedersoli shoots very well aswell, as does the loyalist gun.

There are tons of topics concerning both arms. My piedersolis lock came feeling a bit wanky in the springs, the loyalist musket will make pan fire with a wet boot in the jaws.

Cheers

Rob

It sounds like you've got the skill and the desire it takes to make a TOTW kit. A Dixie kit is a lot like model making. Not much room for individuality. You won't go wrong building a kit from TOTW and you have the resources available to you so you should just go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it when you're done with it.

The last time I looked the only complete Bess Kit that TOW sold was the Willit's kit. The lock is completely an in the rough collection of parts. That would give me pause. How is your sanding, grinding, hardening and tempering of lock parts skills?

It looks like quite a job. I have made springs before, and have done some hardening, tempering, etc. I don't do a ton of polishing, but I do have occasion to re polish things after engraving, or worse yet, polish out the odd slip or scratch.
:redface:
If I can't harden the lock parts myself, I can get them case hardened at work, and just brush back the finish to remove the colors after.

If I go that route, I was thinking of just getting the lock parts to start with. $900 is a bunch to spend right off for the whole kit, but I guess it is in line with the Chambers kits I have seen prices for. If I make it through the lock assembly, then I can get more parts.

The real problem is if I actually pull it off, I will want to build more and more. :surrender:

I didn't know Loyalist offered kits. They seem to have some good deals going.

Now, if only a Loyalist lock would fit a Track stock...

Thanks again for all the input.

If more want to chime in, feel free!

take care,

Tom

I'd go the route you just mentioned and buy the lock castings. If you do manage to get it assembled into a working lock and have the necessary skills to carry you that far than putting the rest of the gun together should be possible for you. If you do have trouble getting the lock together, than you really only have $100 or so invested and can purchase a ready made gun, or Dixie kit instead.

You can have one of the mastergun builders on this forum, assmeble that lock for you.
I know that ROY builds locks and would do a great job for you.

If I remember correctly, the TOW is one of their advanced projects kits. Generally this means that the parts are from the Rifle Shoppe. This is really an indication that the TOW kit will be top of the line. Their advanced projects are quality parts and you will end up with a fine gun. The lock should be assembeled by a qualified lock builder. Getting all the parts properly fitted and hardened is a serious task. For most reenactment purposes you will be best served by a Long Land Pattern, wherever you buy the gun.

Back