• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R.E.A.L. Conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was recently given a bunch of 320gr R.E.A.L. conicals for my 50 cal T/C Hawken. Has anyone had any good or bad luck with these? Should I use a felt wad between the bullet and the powder? Any suggested charges using Goex? Would these be a good choice for whitetail vs. roundball? I have heard that conicals tend to "over penetrate" on medium sized game without much "thump". Thanks for any input!

Jeff

I use them in my Blue Ridge .50 flinter. No need to use a wad between the powder, although I am sure it would not matter. Lube the first groove on the bullet slowly push so the bullet accepts the rifling. Trust me , pulling one of these is a major pain. My favorite mini.

I use them in .58"[url] rifle-muskets...in[/url] them the wad seems to make a difference...but the bores on them are different animals from other rifled barrels such as the rifles you guys are talking about.

I don't believe the shorter REALs will "over penetrate" as much as bigger longer slugs. They have a pretty abrupt nose profile, and are realitively light so that velocity is still up there. I would expect some expansion and good whompability from them as long as they are pure lead.

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
I make my own LEE R.E.A.L. bullets. According to the LEE loading chart that came with the molds, (you might find this interesting) for the 320 grain REAL 50 caliber...

if using FFg Goex they suggest charges from 25 - 95 grains.

In the FFFg Goex area they suggest 22 - 70 grains

and if shooting Pyrodex RS they suggest 20 - 56 grains.

Depending on which rifle I shoot the 320 grains shoot best with a 75 grain load of Goex FFg. I do put a wad under the REAL but you can try them both ways and see what gives the best accuracy. As already stated, be sure and lube at least the bottom ring, but I lube the whole bullet.

As for knock down on deer, they flatten them. You do not get the kind of expansion you would think a conical like this would get. I make them out of 99% lead. (As pure as I can buy) They do a lot of internal damage and usually get a pass through. Deer tend to fall right there or a shot distance later and leave a nice blood trail.

I shoot both and seveal of us are trying to compare notes on which is better, REAL bullets or Round ball and so far the score is even. I'll let the list know in the future.

There isn't much thump with any muzzleloader. They use soft lead to flatten out and make a big hole. Conical tend to tumble thereby rip and tear and flatten to a degree as they go through. They should go deeper because they are bigger. :shocking:

I have a TC Hawken .50 in flint. It shoots the REAL .320 better than any other bullet. I shoot 80 grains Goex 3f with a over powder wad.
OLd Charlie

I have to agree with old charlie we shoot about the same load,my t/c 50 cal. flinter will shoot the REALS 320 grain excellent using 85 grains of goes 3f and a wad over the powder.I also found that the 360 grain maxi-ball's will also shoot the same load and shoot it well.

I have a TC Hawken .50 in flint. It shoots the REAL .320 better than any other bullet. I shoot 80 grains Goex 3f with a over powder wad.
OLd Charlie

Ditto Charlie's post, pretty much same load, also using a wad with FFFg.

I was a long time "learning" to use a wad, but I found I can punch wads from milk cartons with a 1/2" punch that serve the purpose quite well. I'm still looking for a "reasonable priced" punch for the .54 cal.
The Ox-Yoke wads are probably better, but I've never been able to see that much difference in the .50 cal.

In my neck of the woods that's an additional 9 cents a shot for Ox-Yoke wads. I have ordered them cheaper, but with postage and all....well you get the picture, I'm poor and cheap I guess. :boohoo:

Russ

I cast the same bullet for 2 of my hunting rifles, I made a switch bbl for a lyman great plains that I built from a kit.
It has a green mountain 1/28" twist,32"long 5/8 18 breech and a "Tip Curtis" breech plug (same config/dimensions as lyman) I did a "QLA" Muzzle conversation with a floating pilot reamer (clymer/lathe operation). I use a musket cap nipple/ignition. (rws caps)and use hodgen 777 3fff and the ox yoke .50 cal wad, for all practice and the load development. when I hunt use a butler creek "maxi patch"and the fiber wad on top of that, then the 320gr. proj.(note) maxi patches are discontuined, you can buy green sabots, take an X-ACTO knife and slice the ears off..
Most accurate load @ 5,642ft (colorado) 95gr 1,975fps (oleher 66 chronograph) 5"high at 100yds. dead on at 150 8.5" hold over at 185 3 shot groups @100yds 1-1/2".. Hope that helps.. If dead elk could talk...well.... you get it! :m2c:

I cast the same bullet for 2 of my hunting rifles, I made a switch bbl for a lyman great plains that I built from a kit.
It has a green mountain 1/28" twist,32"long 5/8 18 breech and a "Tip Curtis" breech plug (same config/dimensions as lyman) I did a "QLA" Muzzle conversation with a floating pilot reamer (clymer/lathe operation). I use a musket cap nipple/ignition. (rws caps)and use hodgen 777 3fff and the ox yoke .50 cal wad, for all practice and the load development. when I hunt use a butler creek "maxi patch"and the fiber wad on top of that, then the 320gr. proj.(note) maxi patches are discontuined, you can buy green sabots, take an X-ACTO knife and slice the ears off..
Most accurate load @ 5,642ft (colorado) 95gr 1,975fps (oleher 66 chronograph) 5"high at 100yds. dead on at 150 8.5" hold over at 185 3 shot groups @100yds 1-1/2".. Hope that helps.. If dead elk could talk...well.... you get it! :m2c:

With the accuracy and trajectory you've stated,.... are you use'n a scope on yore rifle??

scopes are illegal to use in colorado, I have 20/10 vis, and shoot on a regular basis, practice makes perf--- damm he's good! :results:

Quote,.... 8.5" hold over at 185.....

..... so what size groups are you git'n at thet yardage with open sights????

YMHS
rollingb

don't know, I shoot at a red ant hill at that distance and it busts it up pretty good! :peace:

how big is the ant hill??????? there are ant hills
and then there are ant hills!!!!!!!
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

The size of the ant hill ain't important, just the number of ants livin' in it. :nono:

I've used the 250 grain REAL in my Lyman Plains pistol over 40 pyrodex. Velocities are in the high 800s and accuracy at 50 feet and 50 yards prove equal to ball.- which is to say , one ragged hole and about 4" from sitting on the ground and using my knees for a rest.

My only quibble with it in the pistol comes after reading about several people who had split the stocks on lymans using loads that recoil a bit.

That's a legitimate concern. I have a large scar from where a pistol stock split and drove the tang back into my hand.

Back