• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod End for Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchawkeye

58 Cal.
Reaction score
So, what are you guys doing with the end of the ramrod that has no tip (the barrel end)? I'm wondering about adding a threaded tip or flare or maybe just adding grooves for tow...I need something to grab on to, to help pull it out when reloading. On the rifles I build, I add a threaded ramrod tip so I can screw in a jag to assist in pulling out if needed. Thanks for your ideas!!

I have had either a flared end or end fitted with a "tulip" tip for pushing cards and wads down the bore. Other end with a threaded tip for fitting a jag, puller or worm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240818-211050.png
    Screenshot_20240818-211050.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 0
If using a tip, an horn end is very traditional. My preference is black that has a shape that flows from the rod in a very smooth flared fashion.

The small end that goes in the stock generally has a small iron tip threaded for cleaning accessories etc.

Not all tips have the tenon all the way through. Better quality will have blind tenons. In these cases I’ve mechanically fastened them with blind fox wedges along with glue. With the blind wedge you make the hole slightly undercut to lock things in place.

Also, I would stress that these look best when they flow in a continual curve with the rod.

Some fowling pieces also had just an iron flat on the end of a flared ramrod.

Attachments

• 20240819_163239.png
    20240819_163239.png
    569.6 KB · Views: 0
Back