• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How varied was the craftsmanship on original Kentucky rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenman14

32 Cal
Reaction score
Given that these were made by individual gunsmiths, were there also Kentucky rifles of crude fit and finish made, since perhaps some gunsmiths weren’t as skilled as others?

Undoubtedly and like most preserved firearms, the best were kept and the well used ones that have survived may well have been better when new.
I cant say how typical but while I strive to provide patrons guns good as I can. I am less critical on ones I made for me to use my favorite's oft a I 'got up' with old barrels ,reject stocks and what I figured warranted knocking up as a challenge .Sort of" Cobblers kids are poorest shod " I put together my rifle known by some as a' New' Zealand Poor Boy' An amalgam of old & New I kept in the US For R vous they cost me little being worked up rejects others like my pet two grouve was a utterly pitted barrel but its bore was good ,A two grouve 24 bore for belted ball ten rupee lock & waister stock . & my pet 490 percussion set in an old shotgun stock pitted exterior but good out to 500 yards three deep grouved affair one in 30"pitch The sort of wilds that its been dragged through when you get to using it to find a footing in a roaring creek ( Needs must )but the fine guns are better treated If Ive been so wet on long hunts the maple stocked 5 Pounds Flint rifle warped away from the inlets the wrist all blaunched Ime trying to pop a Goat just as sodden as it was , but I got it to fire and had meat . lug a rifle though 13 days of NZ bush off track and it will soon nicely 'age ' What patrons do is up to them ..But a 40 cal Bedford caplock looks original now. ,
Rudyards ramblings

From the books I have and the ones pictured online and the ones I have seen that never have there pictures published the quality is all over the place. There were some that were truly masters of the craft. Then there were others who clearly didn't have the ability or training and their rifles show that. I wonder how many of the ones we label as gunsmiths that came here in the 1700's would have ever been anything other than a Journeyman if they had remained in Europe under the Guilds. Some of those who came here and set up Gunsmith shops were only trained as a gun stocker so under the Guild system they would probably never have been made a master and allowed to open a shop.

From the books I have and the ones pictured online and the ones I have seen that never have there pictures published the quality is all over the place.
Good news for me. I'm currently working on a kit from TOTW that someone else started. The only school this will represent is Preschool! :ghostly:

Back