• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ramrod length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpowell

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I like a ramrod a couple of inches longer than the barrel. I've noticed this doesn't seem to be used very often. Why :confused:

Don, for a while, my ramrods were "brushcatchers", and I cut 'em back, because I mostly shoot at a range, and the extended ramrod would get in the way of my loading with a range rod...for a while there, brushcatchers seemed to be a fashion, but I rarely see them anymore..Hank

All of my rifles stick past the muzzle about 1/4" I like it that way as it helps me grab them easier. I can't say it grabs brush anymore than muzzle length rods though. Also all my rods have 8-32 threaded tips. I have a wooden ball that has an 8-32 bolt through it that I can use if needed to help pull out the rod or when using the rod to remove a stuck ball. You could do the same with a short starter and having the short starter threaded as well and using a 8-32 threaded rod between starter and ram rod.

A quarter inch don't signify. I used to see ramrods sticking out an inch and a half. I believe folks started thinking it might affect accuracy when the gasses coming out had something next to the muzzle to bounce off of. They used to get scorched, as I remember. Haven't seen one for years.

LeatherMoose said:
A quarter inch don't signify. I used to see ramrods sticking out an inch and a half. I believe folks started thinking it might affect accuracy when the gasses coming out had something next to the muzzle to bounce off of. They used to get scorched, as I remember. Haven't seen one for years.

In this image of the legendary Alvin York (Sergeant York) you can clearly see the ramrod extending well past the length of the barrel of his longrifle, his accuracy was uneffected...

york.jpg

Don Powell said:
I like a ramrod a couple of inches longer than the barrel. I've noticed this doesn't seem to be used very often. Why :confused:
All of my rods extend beyond the muzzle, some by 2" or more. I like the extra length in the field, gives me a little more to grab when loading,swabbing etc.

Musketman said:
LeatherMoose said:

In this image of the legendary Alvin York (Sergeant York) you can clearly see the ramrod extending well past the length of the barrel of his longrifle, his accuracy was uneffected...

york.jpg

I'll bet he blew down the barrel after each shot too! :haha:
(you can tell cause he only has one eye left in the picture) :rotf:

:applause: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I like a ramrod a couple of inches longer than the barrel. I've noticed this doesn't seem to be used very often. Why?

It's like the teeny-boppers who are putting rear fins on their front-wheel drive cars. It's all about looks and the tastes of the day. I like a flush rod.

cherry30.jpg

Some of us sacrifice comfort for style.

:winking:

Is there a rifle in that pic? Can't see for all the glare. :grin:

Some of us sacrifice comfort for style.

On that note, looks like Alvin has a strip of leather wrapped around the end of that thing, too.

AZ-Robert said:
On that note, looks like Alvin has a strip of leather wrapped around the end of that thing, too.

Could be a cleaning rag, some tow wrapped around a worm perhaps, or just something to cover up the scorch marks made by the muzzle's blast...

Musketman said:
AZ-Robert said:

Could be a cleaning rag, some tow wrapped around a worm perhaps, or just something to cover up the scorch marks made by the muzzle's blast...

:confused: :hmm: :rotf: :rotf: :bow:

Gentlemen, as a long time student and builder of Southern rifles, please allow me to pass along some thoughts for your consideration. Long ramrods were favored by several, but definitely not all, builders of the Appalachian/East Tennessee style of rifle and still are. Not so as to most other schools of long arms. Neatness counted to those builders. The folk of the hills were known for (and still are) for their practicality and long ramrods facilitated cleaning, removing a stuck ball, or just trying to remove a ramrod from the rifle after being out in humid wooded areas as they give hands and fingers a little extra to hang on to, particularly arthritic and worn out hands such as mine. For the most part, "range rods" were a thing of the future. Ramrod tips were seldom used and often those which were did not have a threaded hole for attaching a jag, brush, or etc. Sometimes there was a horseshoe nail drifted into the end to hold the tube in place on the rod like what one of my Unlces used to make. "Jags" were merely carved onto the ramrod tip to hold tow or a patch for cleaning. Try one for yourself. They work extremely well. I have never encountered an "original" cleaning jag for a Southern mountain rifle in my entire life. Many modern chunk gun builders make an extra long ramrod for those guns and extra long ramrods seem to be preferred by many customers as well. I guess my thoughts are that if you like'em, want'em, or use'em, more power to you. Cheers, Bookie

Musketman said:
LeatherMoose said:

york.jpg

Really?? He doesn't look like Gary Cooper. :haha:

Zonie said:
How kum his frunt site don't stick way up in tha err lik em neu gons sites doo?

Zonie, it is well known that Alvin York licked his thumb to wet his front sight before he did his famcy shootin, so his front sight must have been worn down from all that wet thumbing that it was subjected to over the years...

Russ, Bill Cogburn of the French Broad Rifles had a chance to handle "Dad's gun" as York's son called it. It was missing its lock (the kids had played with it) and Bill was able to fit a lock to it...if you were to attend the annual Alvin York Shoot in Pall Mall,Tn, you might get a chance to see a York rifle...no one knows if it was the only one, or just the last one...
Hank

"Zonie, it is well known that Alvin York licked his thumb to wet his front sight before he did his famcy shootin, so his front sight must have been worn down from all that wet thumbing that it was subjected to over the years... "

Latest posts

Back