• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod Replacement for 39 inch barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food for thought, however, on the practicality of using the ramrod as a range rod with a ball or T-Handle, and possibly an extension.
With sights filed / adjusted with the weight of the brass ramrod in the thimbles, that means for every shot you'll be assembling pieces / parts to convert it to a "range rod"...then after loading, you'll need to disassemble all the pieces and return the ramrod to the thimbles for the next shot...otherwise your POI will change without the ramrod weight under the barrel.
Personally I think you might tire of all that on the very first range trip but at least be aware

Hmmmm... Good point. I had not thought about the removal of a ramrod changing a rifle's point of impact...

I've never tried it, nor even observed it, but I have heard of a removed ramrod being used as a field-expedient, additional support, in shooting from a sitting or kneeling position, but I fear I am getting off topic...

Thank you, again.

Owlmagnet said:
Hmmmm... Good point. I had not thought about the removal of a ramrod changing a rifle's point of impact...

I've never tried it, nor even observed it, but I have heard of a removed ramrod being used as a field-expedient, additional support, in shooting from a sitting or kneeling position, but I fear I am getting off topic...

Thank you, again.
Well, a final thought would be if it was done back in the day, its safe to assume the ramrods were lightweight wooden ones...not heavier brass ones...so there probably wouldn't be any noticeable shift in POI.
At any rate, best advice is file / set your sights for the configuration you'll be using when you take that first shot at a deer out of a clean cold barrel, ramrod in the thimbles, etc.
Then just test for any POI shift with the ramrod removed and you'll know one way or another.

I know shooting a shotgun in clay sports you definitely don't want to change anything in weight and balance as POI will change! Should be same with rifle especially shooting offhand.

Latest posts

Back