• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod Replacement for 39 inch barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where can I get a replacement for a long ramrod? Barrel is 39 inches and I need a long enough ramrod for replacement as this one that came with the Frontier Blue Ridge is pretty cheap wood and will break I can tell with not much effort. Wanted to have a replacement on hand.

Making a good ramrod from a good piece of hickory isn't rocket science. It is really quite simple especially when you have the rifle in hand for all of the measurements needed. Starting with the length, I always drop the hickory stick down the barrel and leave a small length of a couple of inches sticking out to have something to grab on to. If the diameter of the unfinished rod is too big for the barrel, I scrape it down evenly until it fits the bore. I either make my own brass tips out of spent center fire shells or buy ready made ones from Track of the Wolf. They are attached to the rod end after honing a precise fit to completely fill the tip's cavity. I use a combination of wood glue and most importantly drill a 1\16th hole through the tip and rod center install cut and peen a brass wire of the same diameter as the drilled hole. From there you have to usually taper the ramrods length carefully to fit down through the pipes and into the r\r hole channel of your stock. Once done, I sand the rod with very fine 400 grit paper and whisker it a couple of times and stain it and finish with my good ole teak oil.

Hey thank you so much to both of you guys...yes, I have actually seen those hickory rods on TOW before now that I think of it.
The barrel is a 54 so we should be ok for diameter fit. I will use your instruction on how to fit and properly attach the brass tip piece to the rod. Yeah, this one I got is real flimsy and being that long will not last I am sure. I would just rather replace it now with a good hickory and get it set up and then if I have to I can use the stock one for replacement if I break the hickory one until I can get another done. LOL

Now I am looking at TOW and there are two thread sizes with 8-32 and 10-32 for tips....does anyone know the actual size as mine must be all the same as I have no problem interchanging anything on the tips. It seems I read 10-32 once somewhere, but have no clue.

54's are normally 10 x 32 sizing.

50 and other can be a mixture 8x 32 or 10 x32.
Treso sells tips that have both.

I finish most of my rods on both ends, one end is threaded 8-32" and the other is 10-32" since I have jags and tips with both threads. All ends are crosspinned to prevent the ends from coming loose.

IMO, you don't want a flexible rod, since when it flexes a rod can rub and wear the muzzle crown edge, and also cause damage to the rod itself.

If you ram in short sections, you will be ramming straight into the bore. If you hold the rod so far out that it flexes, you're doing it wrong.

And don't forget, unless your married to the idea of a wooden ramrod, since yours already has brass furniture, here's an example of what a brass ramrod would look like...and no worries about breaking / swelling, etc:

Those rods are 9mm .335" not 3/8" .375" Track sometimes has 9mm in stock. Or get a nylon 9mm from them or traditions...Tom

Roundball....hey Nice Buck by the way and beautiful rifle! The brass rod is a good idea too. I have a nylon one I got for my GPR from TOW quite sometime ago and I like it a lot. Works great for me. The hickory rods are good though, just don't grip high on them and they work fine.

Roundball: Can you please tell us more about your brass ramrod? Did it come from somewhere, ready made? Did you buy brass stock of a specific diameter, cut it to the appropriate length, and then tap the ends for 8/32 or 10/32 threads?

With an attachable T-handle, or a wooden ball, on one end, and a cleaning/seating jag on the other, does it serve as a range rod?

(I really like your idea!)

Thank you, in advance,
Bob

New to the forum and excited to get started!

I have the Pedersoli Blue Ridge as well, just purchased a brass 3/8" diameter x 38 1/2" ramrod tapped both ends at 10/32 for all attachments from a company called RMC Ox Yoke. I like the brass ramrod because I know it won't break and go through my hand.

I realized early on that the original ramrod is not 3/8" as posted and is in fact 9mm. I had to bore out the brass ramrod pipes in the channel to 25/64 (.3906) and am now finding that the ramrod isn't fitting into the ramrod hole into the gun stock; about 1/16 or 1/32 off.

So here's my question, should I bore out the ramrod hole with a 48" ramrod hole drill from TOW or sand down the ramrod (brass) to fit?

If you can find a good weld shop in your area, a better plan would be to take your 25/64 diameter drill bit there and talk to them.

For a modest fee they should be able to weld your drill bit onto a piece of 3/8" diameter cold rolled steel bar.

That will probably cost you less money and the twist drill will centralize itself better in the existing hole than the single flute drill sold by TOTW.

If you do this, when you start drilling, pull the drill out of the hole often to clear the chips from the flutes. If you don't, the drill bit will bind up and break the weld joint.

Owlmagnet said:
Did it come from somewhere, ready made?
Some I bought ready made from RMCSports, simply by selecting the diameter, length, and threaded ends size if I wanted solid brass ramrods.
A few I had made out of strong stiff .060" wall tubular brass by October Country if a solid brass rod would have added too much weight.
8/32 or 10/32 threads?
My personal choice is to always have them threaded 10/32" so I can use the larger stronger ramrod accessories.
With an attachable T-handle, or a wooden ball, on one end, and a cleaning/seating jag on the other, does it serve as a range rod?
No reason they couldn't...worst case, for the convenience of a little extra length, buying a simple readily available 6" solid brass extension would ensure that it could.

Roundball: Thank you, Sir, for your speedy and comprehensive reply. I appreciate it.

Your posts, (and terrific photographs), were a very positive influence on my decision to order a TVM Early Virginia, (.54), with a 38" swamped barrel. I hope it will meet the "whompability" standard!

Latest posts

Back