• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod sticking past Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy gaboric

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was told that if your ramrod was sticking past the barrel that it would adversly effect your accuracy, is that true? I have seen numerious rifles with the ramrod pertruding past the barrel. One other question if I may is what is the purpose of having the ramrod stick out so far?
Thanks,
Andy

agab6601 said:
I was told that if your ramrod was sticking past the barrel that it would adversly effect your accuracy, is that true? I have seen numerious rifles with the ramrod pertruding past the barrel. One other question if I may is what is the purpose of having the ramrod stick out so far?
Thanks,
Andy

Nope, t'aint true. I have my ramrod sticking out two inches past the bore. It makes things a lot easier, for me anyway. For one, it makkes swabbing the bore easier, I have something to grab better, especially if I have moose milk or ballistol on my hands.

I believe you have heard wrong because if your ramrod were sticking out past the barrel and it was going to effect accuracy at all the ball would have to hit the ramrod which a ball traveling at that speed would shatter that ramrod. My traditions kentucky has an aftermarket ramrod with a threaded end for a cleaning jag and I made the ramrod to stick out past the barrel to give me more ramrod to work with when using that to clean the gun. I have had good accuracy so far and have been shooting 2 1/2 in. groups lately with the gun with a ramrod sticking out. However there is a downside to a ramrod sticking out past the barrel. Every time you fire some black powder fouling builds up on the ramrod so you need to clean it off every once in a while.

How could that be true??? The Ball is leaving the muzzle at whatever muzzle velocity you have loaded for the caliber, often in excess of 1200 fps. Do the math. Just how long is it going to take that ball to go past 2 inches???? And that rod sticking our past the muzzle is still at least one caliber size distant from the ball in most guns. I can see there being some problem if a Flat surface was near the muzzle, reflecting back gases, and air to the projectile as it passes, but the rod and jag are round, and cannot reflect back anything of significance. If you must, do some before and after testing of your gun using a bench rest.

I keep a loading/cleaning jag on the end of my rod, sticking out beyond the muzzle. It gets coated with greasy residue, but that is easily wiped off with a rag as I pull the rod out of the stock and pipes. If no rag? A handful of leaves, green, or dead, will accomplish the same thing. I keep 3" squarer cleaning patches made of flannel cotton in my pouch for cleaning the .50 caliber, 20, and 12 gauge barrels on my guns, so a couple of those patches also can be used to wipe the ferrule and jag on my rod as I pull the rod out.

The purpose is to have a better gripping area for cleaning. I firmly believe it does not effect accuracy.

The only problem I've had with the extended ramrod is breaking it off as it hits the ground. :redface: This happened with my Henry. I had used the flash pan to get my charcloth going on a cold wet day last winter. I was kneeling with both knees on the ground and for some reason I had the rifle in my lap (thinking back on it, probably because I didn't want to lay it in the mud) trying to hold it there while blowing on the tender. Didn't work as it slid off striking the ground barrel first breaking off the end of the ramrod right where the tip meets the wood. Grrrr...

The upside of it all was I had one of my granddaughters with me and her comment on it all was "imagine that, starting a fire with a rifle." :grin:

It's also easier to grab if it's extending past the bore. This rumor might have come about from the idea that attaching a bayonet to your rifle affects accuracy. That could be true, but the bayonet is actually attaching to the barrel and I could see how that would change it's harmonics.

from Paul'
"I keep a loading/cleaning jag on the end of my rod, sticking out beyond the muzzle."

ditto here, bout' a 1/2" no harm to accuracy.

Them darn Traditions/cva/jukar kentucky rifles and that short rod! darn that's a dicken! Why don't they drill that hole a bit deeper and give ya a rod ya can get hold of?!

All mine stick out beyond the muzzle, some by barely an inch and some two or more inches. That extra length makes them easier to handle.

Well the person who told me this was a self procailmed gun "expert" and he has one muzzleloader so I take what he says about MLs with a grain of salt. I have learned that BP is a whole different animal. And what applies to modern arms does not apply here in most cases. But hey it never hurts to get a second opinion. Thanks everyone!
-Andy

I need to replace three ramrods because they all don't stick out and it makes it a dickens of a time getting em out if they stick while swabbing the bore at the range. All of em cut off right at the muzzle, one Traditions and two CVA. Ok I learned long ago that an extension or T handle is an awesome accessory so I don't really have an issue I haven't solved.

I personally don't like the looks of a ram rod sticking out past the muzzle...

Been thinking about this one, myself. I have two rods for my .54 custom "Hawken" both of which stick out 2" beyond the barrel. While I appreciate the extra leverage the rods get pretty charred from shooting with the rod in the gun where it is while hunting. Looks? I can take it or leave it but I think I prefer a mount closer to flush with the breech.

If it sticks out a goodly ways the hickory will get eroded by the gas flow. Use to be able to buy a ramrod extension, piece of brass threaded at both ends, that you would leave between the rod end and your jag. Somebody probably still has them.

How far past the muzzle does the jag have to be for the "patch " to hit it, and , " so what?" The only way the patch hits it is if the patch has opened up away from the ball and has, or is, separating from the ball. :shocked2: :hmm: :thumbsup:

I doubt it affects accuracy at all. I like my rods flush with the muzzle because any protruding rod is very likely to snag on things and get broken. My longrifles just barely fit in my truck and anything sticking out just will not fit. If the rod hole is drilled correctly to full depth a rod cut flush with the muzzle will be about 1/2" longer than the bore. Add a cleaning jag and it becomes about 2" longer than the bore, plenty to grab onto. I use the under-barrel rod only when hunting. For range work I use a 7/16" range rod with a large ball on top, that makes everything much easier.

That's wild! I see the guardians of decency just cencored the words "protruding rod" is likely to snag on things and get broken. :haha:

It will hit it with it only sticking out a half an inch if the cleaning jag is on it. I can feel it hit. I don't think it affects the accuracy at all but you do feel the patch slap the jag. Most of my rifles are set up so that when the cleaning jag is on the rod and in the stock it comes flush to the muzzle because it saves time in the hunting field.

Very timely topic. I am on my first ML'er (built from a kit) and during finishing, my original rod got broken. Never worried about going any further with it, since I had a steel rod fabricated, use it all the time and only shoot paper. I just found a rod that was the right length, bought it and was forced into finishing the slot for it. It came out somewhat longer than the barrel and I wondered about that. I now feel better.
:bow: :hatsoff:

Let us not forget one of the main reasons why a ramrod will protrude several inches from the muzzle end of a barrel. Most I have found have had the r\r holes drilled plenty deep enough. But those darn front lock plate screws many times end up plugging the hole closed. If you are lucky, you can tapper the rod end and notch the lock screw. That will sink the rod the extra needed inches. Just never forget to pull the ramrod before you put the screwdriver to that front lock bolt! :wink:

I don't even use the ramrod on any of the rifles I have... I made a nice long "wiping stick"/ramrod and use it for all loading and cleaning tasks.

Latest posts

Back