• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Not to hijack the topic....But....What do you ese for a reliable ramrod.
I amm presently building a .32 rifle, with a 36" barrel, but have my doubts about the reliability of a 1/4" ramrod ( hickory )
I know I could use an aluminium, or brass rod, but do not like the look.
Your help will be much appreciated.
Happy New Year!

Old Ford

...hey old ford... not to worry... i received enough good advice from all to help me out... that said, i too am curious about finding a good sturdy rod... the alu seems a bit flimsy...sure would be nice to find a titanium 0.25" rod... but bet the price would hurt!...

Hello Bob,
I have made 36 cal. ramrods from straight grain hickory, without any problems, and they look more period than fiber glass, aluminium, or brass.
I also realize that a metal ramrod makes a better range rod, as well as cleaning rod.
I just have my doubts about a 1/4" wooden rod.
By the way what part of up-state New York do you live.
I live in Ontario just across the river from Massena, NY.
All the best!
Old Ford

Old Ford said:
Hi Guys,
Not to hijack the topic....But....What do you ese for a reliable ramrod.
I amm presently building a .32 rifle, with a 36" barrel, but have my doubts about the reliability of a 1/4" ramrod ( hickory )
I know I could use an aluminium, or brass rod, but do not like the look.
Your help will be much appreciated.
Happy New Year!

Old Ford
Hickory with a steel core- http://www.periodramrod.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just shooting a CVA .32 Varmint i got for Christmas. What a fun gun! I was using 20 grains Triple 7 FFF. Used a 31 ball with a 0.10 patch. Seemed to shoot good. One problem i had though. It takes a size 10 cap and after a few shots I would get a lot of misfires. Had to blow out the nipple a few times to get it to fire. Can I trade out the nipple for a musket size? i know this might be overkill but I've never had a problem with them on my 50 caliber.

Replace that factory nipple with a better one, that takes #11 caps. The nipples places on these foreign made cap guns are NOTORIOUS for being poorly design and made. Junk them ASAP. Call a supplier, and ask what thread size you need for the gun. They know. Write it down. Then order a couple of replacement nipples made of Stainless steel, or the Ampco nipples made of a bronze alloy. I also like the Uncle Mike's "hot Shot" nipple. It has the hole in the trunk that allows gases to blow open the skirt on the percussion cap to release the cap from the nipple. Its a very handy "aid" to put on a gun that will be primarily used to hunt squirrels.

The Better nipples will do a better job of containing the high gas pressure generated in these small caliber guns, even using smaller powder charges. And, they also last a lot longer.

Like Paul says, replace it. Nipples are cheap, yet can be the source of many headaches. Cheap fix for sure.

Woogiebear said:
I was just shooting a CVA .32 Varmint i got for Christmas. What a fun gun! I was using 20 grains Triple 7 FFF. Used a 31 ball with a 0.10 patch. Seemed to shoot good. One problem i had though. It takes a size 10 cap and after a few shots I would get a lot of misfires. Had to blow out the nipple a few times to get it to fire. Can I trade out the nipple for a musket size? i know this might be overkill but I've never had a problem with them on my 50 caliber.
i have a cva varmint , i use remington #11 caps and 40 gr pyrodex p

I'll give it a shot. i ordered the stainless size 11 nipple from Track of the Wolf. Thanks again!

Back