• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report Jukar longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
craftwelder said:
......wish I could convert her to a flinter, and a new stock...what a rifle that would be.

Fortunately this too is quite possible, with access to a knowledgeable machine shop.
First the percussion bolster (drum) is milled off flush to the barrel, then the remaining hole is drilled&tapped for a touchhole liner.
This is the same process used by C.V.A, and Traditions to make their flint models at the factory. :thumbsup:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I contacted McC custom machining and muzzleloading....he will do the barrel for 85.00.
Pecatonica stock 120.00
L&R lock 135.00

Need to find triggers...
starting to sound like a fun project

Nice shooting- have fun with your project- looking forward to some build pictures- keep us posted..Enjoy...Dan

Great shooting. A friend of mine brought one of these over to the house a couple of weeks ago. He said he took it in trade for some work. We cleaned it up, and loaded a 440 RB and a .015 patch. 60 grains of fffg and what a shooter. Back in the 70's when these were first imported there were reports of ruptured barrels. I belive "Spanish Pipe Bomb" was the phrase. I later found out that these magnum crazed idiots were loading 150 grains in these little guns. I think the max load on these was 80 grains. Have fun. That's what it's all about.

I love the way she shoots, but I am really considering building a flintlock with thiss barrel.

Jonesy2 said:
Great shooting. A friend of mine brought one of these over to the house a couple of weeks ago. He said he took it in trade for some work. We cleaned it up, and loaded a 440 RB and a .015 patch. 60 grains of fffg and what a shooter. Back in the 70's when these were first imported there were reports of ruptured barrels. I belive "Spanish Pipe Bomb" was the phrase. I later found out that these magnum crazed idiots were loading 150 grains in these little guns. I think the max load on these was 80 grains. Have fun. That's what it's all about.

Correct on all counts.
Also, as evedenced by one Renegade that came through the shop a while back (the lock screw was blown clean through the stock and the touch hole liner was blown out of the barrel and actually welded fast to the lock plate) some of these fools were also attempting to use smokeless powder :nono: :nono:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Been my observation that so called "spanish junkers" will out shoot customs all day long. Thats some fine shooting there. :thumbsup:

I have a CVA Kentucky longrifle in .45....Jukar barrel. Nothing wrong with that rifle or your shoothing...nice grouping!!

hello Craftwelder

you have done this with the old kentucky rifle :hmm: this old one with the two piece stock and the poor trigger ?

and i have sold mine for some years ago ....

may you will be so kind and take a pic in the forum :surrender:

thx and regards
Klaus

The one I have is very accurate. It has shot groundhogs at 65 and 88 yards with head shots. It is nice and lightweight and balances pretty well. It is my go to gun for long range groundhogs. Ive also shot at matchs with it and I didnt do to bad. I sure like my "spanish junk" :rotf:

Untitled-2.jpg

(I had to guess at the reference sizes as the pic was at an angle. Should be fairly on.)

Enjoy! :grin:

Josh

Ya know the last time I was wanting to buy a new ML I looked at a lot of those old CVA .45's. Wish I had gone for one of them now. :cursing: Nice shootin!

Don

it`s much impressive to see just how many potential in accuracy are possibile with this " Junk"
The Mountain Rifle Cal.45 i have did the same successfull work at range. All what is out of a 10 or 9 freehand at 50 meters ... the failure will be found behind the stock.
I shoot a Target Rifle from Bondini called Sanftl you know wich has got a very hard job to beat my Mountain..

Klaus :wink:

Nice shootin Josh!
Keep tweaking that load and you can shrink that group even more.
This is a 50 yrd benched group out of mine, The "flyer on the bottom right was the first shot from a clean barrel, it settled in after that. :wink:
100_0091.jpg

Be clear about the criticism of these JUKAR guns. I have never heard bad things about the ACCURACY of the barrels.

Its the lock and other parts that are often seen as JUNK. Mine had a Bent Lockplate, that had never been hardened, a loose drum, a hammer that didn't line up with the nipple, and other problems inside the lock itself.

These guns can shoot well, if you get all the rest of the parts to work right. The barrel is fine. :thumbsup:

yes you`re right and fortunately all spare parts are available here in germany to replace some parts if needed
But i`m thinking about if as an example a L&R Lock can be replaced for a Ardesa/ CVA Look.
OK, the L&R look will probaly more cost than the huge Rifle but if the Barrel are ok and the Stock fit`s right it might be a good deal ?

regards
Klaus

Nothing wrong with that shooting; the first thing I owned that went bang other than a BB gun was a "jukar junk" 45 Kentucky. Dad bought it in kit form for me in 1979, paid $100.00 for it at a hardware store for a shop project in 8th grade. We had an hour for class minus 15 minutes to clean up so I spent a whopping 45 minutes everyday working on it. There was four other guys who built muzzleloaders in class, mine was the only CVA. I am the only one who kept his rifle, the others got traded off.
Mine could be finicky, I didnt know much about blackpowder and learned via "OJT". I made some nice shots with mine, killed my first coyote and turkey with it, but probably my best was a cottontail offhand at 77 long steps, some luck was involved there. I bought some brass tacks and "decorated" the stock which looked better then than now.
I havent shot mine in years, makes me wanna get mine out and relive my youth!!!!!

Again, good shooting!
Eterry

I don't know of any American made lock that can replace those Spanish locks. Sorry. All I know is that I spent a lot of time( a nice way to learn, BTW) "fixin'" my lock and gun to make it function at all.

When the lock was removed, there were HUGE CHUNKS of wood chips in the lock mortise- and in parts of the lock, which made it next to impossible to make the lock parts work. Those were easily removed.

Then I found the lock plate had been bent, or "bowed" so that the parts in the lock were rubbing against the lock plate, and could NOT function, until I removed all the parts, and straightened that Plate! Once I got the plate straightened in a bench vise, SLOWLY, so I didn't break it, the parts began to work correctly.

The bend was part of the problem with the hammer not aligning with the nipple, for instance. I did have to bend the Hammer a bit to get it to strike the nipple squarely, but that was Not nearly as big an issue as I thought it would be when I first examined the lock.

I had Lots of Burrs on the edges of all the parts, and the mainspring, which made the hammer fall sluggish. All those lock part problems were "fixed" with a minimum of filing using jeweler's files, and polishing with emery cloth, backed by a flat file.

I got the help of a friend who had access to a metal lathe. He took a bit of metal off the side of the drum closest to the barrel, so that we could rotate the drum so that the nipple aligned properly with the hammer, when the drum was tight against the barrel. I filed off the extra metal now sticking into the bore, to provide clearance for my cleaning jag. It was only then that we bent the nose of the percussion hammer a bit, to get it to hit the nipple squarely. I still had to grind the face of the hammer, inside the skirt, to get the face to strike the top of the nipple squarely. I also beveled the skirt, so that the front of the caps would open up more, and the cap would not stick to the nipple after it was fired. There was a notch in the front of the skirt, but it was not deep enough, nor wide enough, so, I used a triangular shaped file to deepen and widen the notch.

My mainspring was tapered too much near the hook, so it was weakest when the hammer was down on the spent cap. I could not find replacement springs, then, so after a few instances where bits of cap came flying out, and stuck me in the arm, and face, I drilled a 1/64" hole into the clean-out screw in the end of the drum, right through the screw slot, and the center of the screw, to relieve gases.

Today, I would simply buy an "Uncle Mike" Hot-Shot nipple with the holes in the nipple, so that gases escape and blow the sides of the spent cap apart for easy removal. The shape of the nipple, and those holes prevent blow-back that pushes the hammer back to half cock, and allows the spent cap to escape.

If I still had that gun, I would replace the clean-out screw, and the nipple, and not have to deal with smoke and flame shooting sideways like you get shooting a flintlock.

My point is that while there are problems with those guns, its not in the barrel. And, if I can fix the lock to make it work reliably, anyone can. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back