• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Results & Interesting Story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbrad

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I went to the range yesterday and took out my New Cabella's Hawken for the first time. I was tring out different loads, and was able to get some pretty good groups (and a couple not so good) So I was pleased my best group was when shooting 90 gr FFg Goex, RPB and a wonder wad. about 1 1/2" at 50yrs, not that only happened once the rest were about 2 1/2" so I figured the smaller group was a fluke or just dumb luck.

Now the interesting story about this rifle. I bought it used on Auction Arms. Got a sweet deal on it ($125 inc Shipping). So I got it 3 days after auction closing still great right...I took it home and started to clean it. When I put the ramrod down the barrel it stops short...so I of course look down the barrel to figure out what the abstruction is and I see a dull metallic object shining back at me. So using the ball puller i pull out..you guessed it a .50 cal ball and what was underneath it yep POWDER. I was in shock. I could not believe someone would ship a firearm with out checking it first. I figure what happend because the channel was so filled with crud it missfiered and who ever owned it sold it for cheap because they did not know how to clear it. Well it worked out for me cause I ended up with a good rifle for cheep :thumbsup:

Shes talk about great service, fast shipping, good price and already loaded for first use!!!
I hope you sent them a thank you note.

So that how to figure out the correct ball/patch/powder combination. :) Looks like you got a good deal.

Glad you found the load!

A story I've told before, but it bears repeating.

I bought a used muzzleloader at a gun show and when I got it home I found it was loaded.
My first thought was to take it to the range the next weekend and shoot the load out.
After taking it apart I decided to remove the nipple drum. After removing it, I looked into the powder chamber and lo and behold! What did I find but a whole bunch of little cylindrical shaped kernals of powder!

Yes, some IDIOT had loaded this thing with SMOKELESS POWDER!
Needless to say, I removed the powder and pulled the ball with my ball screw :cursing: .

The moral of my story is don't trust any gun you buy until you have checked everything out and DON'T get the idea that you will shoot out an existing load without knowing exactly what is in there.
Zonie :)

Zonie said:
".....don't trust any gun you buy until you have checked everything out and DON'T get the idea that you will shoot out an existing load without knowing exactly what is in there....."
Excellent reminder...

Back