• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Rods,Jags and other cleaning accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPalmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What size cleaning accessories would best fit 3/8" and 5/16" range rods for .40 cal and .36 rifles. It seems that most all accessories are sold in choices of 8/32 and 10/32 threads.
I am going to place an order and would like to standardize sizes to best fit the tapered end of my Delrin range rods. I am having difficulty telling one thread size from the other.
Failing all else, I guess I'll have to take my rods to the hardware store and sample the nuts and bolts.
Can anyone help save me a trip?

I would go with the 10/32 thread, much stronger. You can use that size even on a 5/16" rod tip. And stay away from jags with brass thread shanks. They break and twist in two very easily. Get jags with steel threads.

And just remember that the thread pitch on both these screws is the same, 32 per inch. There is only .026" difference between their sizes. From a short distance it can be easy to mistake them, but after handling them a few times you'll easily be able to tell them apart. You can pick up a couple of these screws at the hardware for just a few cents for comparisons. I make my jags with hardware screws.

Back