• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RB and Shooting Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the range and shot that new percussion .54 Hawken some more at 25 yards with great results. It groups about one inch above dead center with 530 RB, .15 lubed patch and 70 grains (cleaning barrel for each shot). I tried 60, 65, and 75 grains and shots were not accurate. So went back to 70 grains and accuracy was back. Went to 50 yards and hits were about 3" above dead center grouping at 2". So just for giggles I tried it at 100 yards and hit at 11 o'clock about 6" high and 8" to the left. Grouping went to heck at that distance. I guess the ball is still climbing on an arch? The ML didn't seem to be shooting to the left at 25 or 50 yds. Plus, about 10% of my patches are burning through when they did not last weekend. I sanded off the burr at the end of the muzzle so don't think thats the problem. I've read here that a new ML needs to shot a lot to settle down.

Is this a patch/lube problem with the burning? Are gasses escaping around the ball? And why is it shooting so far to the left at 100 yds?

Thanks, Cat9

Not sure what your using for lubrication on your patches if any? I use moose milk and rarely need to swab... Have shot up to 50 shots no problem.

As far as burnt patches.. still question off lubrication on patches.. You might want to look at a thicker patch.. Mine usualy mich out to .018. Not sure what your shooter is.. but still shouldn't have a problem loading with this thickness or a bit thicker. I buy my patching from Wally world .. red pillow ticking as of late.
:results:

If your burning holes in your patch, your definately loosing preasure as well as accuracy. Keep working on a load as well as looking at the patching. Once you start getting clean patches.. your groups should follow.

What thickness of patch are you using? And what lube?

Too thin a patch and it will burn thru even with mild loads. Too little lube one a patch and it may burn.

One new .50cal I had would burn through on the .015 patches but did not burn thru on the .018, both were lubed with either Crisco or Bore Butter. After about 200 rounds the patch burning seemed to go away with the thinner patches, so I suspect the sharpness of the new bore was cutting the material on loading thus causing the burn throughs.

As far as RB accuracy, one of my .50's printed almost identical results as you posted at the same ranges using the same mid range charges you are using. My RB accuracy came in with that rifle once I upped the charges to the 90-95gr range, which by the way was the factory recommended load with RB in that rifle. Downside was that it turned a mild shooting rifle into a warhorse and was too uncomfortable for me to shoot repeadly on the range due to a bad back.

If you find that a thinner patch is more accurate but burn throughs are still a problem, you may want to consider using a Bore Button between the charge and ball. This will protect the patch from burn thru's by providing a more positive gas seal.

For a new rifle, and in the first 100 rounds or so, I would just use a thicker patch. Once the sharpness of the rifling wears down a bit you should begin to notice a more consistant grouping at longer ranges. Then start playing with patches, lubes and loads.

Regulis7

As for shooting to the left, where was the sun relative to the sights while you were shooting?

The sights are probably fine, but if the sun is coming from one side or the other- ESPECIALLY with a brass front sight- your eyes are naturally going to push things in one direction or the other. I tend to push my shots away from the bright sun, but I know folks who push them toward the sun. My answer was to get a bottle of Birchwood Casey brass blackener and follow the directions. Much less of an issue now, and I think guns looks better with black front sights. The next step will be to replace the brass blade entirely.

I agree Brown Bear....great point. I don't know how many times ol' Keith mentioned a rifle or handgun with a shiny front sightwould shoot away from the sun. Makes perfect sense. The shiny sight reflects light on the side the sun is shining on and makes it appear to be farther that direction.

Also, yes, a new barrel does need to be shot in before they settle down. I usually don't fool with my front sights too much until after 75-100 rounds.

Vic

How about wind? Was the wind blowing when you were shooting? A roundball will drift in the wind. I agree with Regulis7, to up the charge to the 90-95 grain (if FFG) when shooting longer ranges. A little more velocity, will help with wind drift, but not eliminate it. As for burning patches, I have had good luck with T/C prelubed .015" patches, and T/C .018" pillow ticking patches, also prelubed. I've never had a problem with either.

To all that replied:

I'm using TC .15 thick patches that I lubed myself with TC Bore Butter (Natural Lube 1000 Plus). I lubed them to the point the fabric changes color and just enough to soak through the fabric. I haven't thought about puttin a wadd behind the patch.

No wind at the range that day and the sights are black iron sights. Been to the range twice and fired about a total of 60 rounds at this point. From the comments it sounds like I need another 100 rounds or so.

Back to the lube thing. Is that enough lube on the patch?

Many thanks for the advice.

Cat9

I don't know what kind of targets you use but when sighting in a rifle I like to use progressivly larger bulls at longer ranges so my sight "picture" looks the same in refernce to the relationship of the size of bull to the sights this helps get a consistant hold from in close out to the long ranges, and I use a 6 o'clock hold. This can make a difference in grouping your shots.

Sounds as though you are lubing your patches O.K. I use T/C prelubed patches, and they are not overly lubed. I have no problem with these. Maybe the rifling in the barrel is cutting your patches and causing the burning. Try running one of the lubed patches, on a round ball down the barrel. Do not charge the barrel with powder. Put a ball puller on your ramrod, and retrieve the ball from the barrel. Examine the patch. Is it cut? The sharp lands on a new barrel may cut it, until it is broken in. The easy cure is to keep shooting PRB'S out of it until it breaks in.

Latest posts

Back