• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RB size for my 12 gauge ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C New Englander 12 gauge . It is the earlier version with a cylinder bore.

What diameter roundball should work best with it. Assume that I will be trying patches in the neighborhood of 15/1000".

I have not mic'd the bore. Still, maybe someone can give me some direction about the "right" sized ball to try. Even better would be anybody with experience shooting prb out of these guns.

I would love to be able to find a sample of 3-5 balls as a test. At $10 per 25, they are a might salty. Thanks for any help guys!

Skychief. :thumbsup:

Most Off-The-Shelf RB's for 12 gauge are .715. You should be okay with those and just experiment with the patch type and thickness.

You can get them from BP (ballistic products) or many online sources.

You can play with the .715's until you determine what is your actual bore diameter and you will either be all set with the .715's or you may need to go up a little to a custom / non-standard ball diameter.

I don't know what a new Englander actually mic's out at but I do well with 690 RB,s in my Tingly 12 ga.with a .022 denium patch. It is a fairly loose fit but shoots well. If you want to try some I have several cast up and could ship you some in a flat rate box fairly cheap since I use my impure lead for smooth bore balls saving the pure lead for the rifle balls.

Stumpkiller said:
I use the 0.690" balls in my T/C New Englander, also. Mine is the cylinder bore but had a jug choke added. I use a 0.022" patch and it throws a good ball.

What kind of fit does this combo give StumpKiller? Nice and snug, tight, somewhat loose?????

Good morning
Now if I was holding that smoothy I would do a little bit of measuring... your barrel is whatever your barrel is.
Get me a brass nail and shorten it till it fit the bore and see if the bore is round. Fit it to one of then long medical clamps and check diameter as far as it reaches. Measure that brass nail. Then with a tight patch check the rest. That will get you real close to real diameter.
A double or triple fold of patch will take up alot space also so ball size is not the biggest challenge.
First time you foul that barrel you are going to discover you now have a new barrel diameter to work with... unless you are going to wash the bore out with every shot.
Me I still use a spit wad for every shot unless it it gonna be stored charged overnight.

Skychief said:
I have a T/C New Englander 12 gauge . It is the earlier version with a cylinder bore.

What diameter roundball should work best with it. Assume that I will be trying patches in the neighborhood of 15/1000".

I have not mic'd the bore. Still, maybe someone can give me some direction about the "right" sized ball to try. Even better would be anybody with experience shooting prb out of these guns.

I would love to be able to find a sample of 3-5 balls as a test. At $10 per 25, they are a might salty. Thanks for any help guys!

Skychief. :thumbsup:

I have the Colerain 32" barrel thats a .735 bore. I use 80gr 2FF Swiss half of a fiber wad lubed then a .715 ball in a lubed .015 patch.

Skychief said:
Stumpkiller said:
I use the 0.690" balls in my T/C New Englander, also. Mine is the cylinder bore but had a jug choke added. I use a 0.022" patch and it throws a good ball.

What kind of fit does this combo give StumpKiller? Nice and snug, tight, somewhat loose?????

Snug enough. The 0.022" patch around the ball (0.042" total side-to-side) fills in the 0.030" +/- between the ball and the walls. As I remember my bore mic'ed out at 0.720", so it is a tight 12 bore (0.729" nominal) to begin with. It's enough to stay put without moving on it's own for normal handling.

I tried .715 balls with .010 patch in my New Englander and it was tight. I wished I had bought the .690's and some thicker patching.

One time I was at the range with my 12 gauge New Englander and was going to try round balls. My very first shot with a .690 round ball and whatever patching I was using put a big hole in the middle of a standard 100 yard rifle target at 100 yards...........Everyone on the line was amazed......I knew it was pure luck.............Then I fired another and it was 3 inches from the first..............Then I fired another and god only knows where it went to along with the rest. So I moved the target back to the 50 yard line and that New Englander 12 gauge would place all of its shots right on in a 4 or 5 inch group. I tried bare .715's but they were too tight with a patch. So I gave up on them. One thing I do remember is that 90 grains of 2f Goex and the .690 balls did just under 1000fps...............Bob

Did you install a rear sight, or just use the groove in the breech area? I also want to shoot RB's but can't find any in my area. I guess I'll have to cast my own when I find a .690 mold.

I am waiting on a .75cal with a short BBL. I have a .715 mold but I am planing on using my .690 LEE mold with it. Cost 20 bucks

No just the groove. But the point of impact at 50 yards is by placing the bead in the groove and putting the bead on the target.................If I ever shoot round balls in it again I'll use the .690 diameter..................Bob

Howdy all.
I bought a New Englander 12 ga. and a .690 RB mold last week. The bore measures .729,an inch below the choke tube. I was going to add the Williams fire sight set, has anybody done this?

P.S. So the reply button allows you to reply to certain posts, that's neat.

.729 ok well that explains why I can shoot .715 balls in the Colerain which is a .735 bore and you guys with New Englanders find that ball hard to. I find it interesting I could not get a good group with .690's that RC sent me and I tried everything.

My good friend, Thundercloud has a CVA 12ga SXS and gets good results with 690rb and 015 patching over 90gr 2f.

Swampy said:
.729 ok well that explains why I can shoot .715 balls in the Colerain which is a .735 bore and you guys with New Englanders find that ball hard to. I find it interesting I could not get a good group with .690's that RC sent me and I tried everything.

Measured my New Englander's bore today.

725/1000"

FWIW.

Latest posts

Back