• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rca 19 pattern?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check with Larry Zornes at Mold & Gun Shop (740-286-2743). He has a complete parts set for RCA #19 that includes stock, lock, barrel, and all the correct furniture.

I've seen and photographed one of Zornes part sets that Jack Brooks put together. It made a beautiful rifle.

Mold & Gun Shop, RCA #19 built by Jack Brooks
IMG_5304_crop_1800.jpg

IMG_5313_crop_1800.jpg

IMG_5331_crop_1800.jpg

Check with Larry Zornes at Mold & Gun Shop (740-286-2743). He has a complete parts set for RCA #19 that includes stock, lock, barrel, and all the correct furniture.

I've seen and photographed one of Zornes part sets that Jack Brooks put together. It made a beautiful rifle.

View attachment 331321
View attachment 331322
View attachment 331323

Th

View attachment 331321
View attachment 331322
View attachment 331323
Thank you s

Do you have the RCA volume? If you do, take photos of sections of the full length of the rifle. Then you can us one of the online photo stitchers or aka panorama stitchers and make a single photo. If your camera has a high definition you can do it with a single photo. Put it into a banner printer and fiddle with the size and print it.

If you can’t draw, your sure are not going to make a bench copy of a rifle. And you aren’t going to make a bench copy by looking at a book.

Sir I am new to this I would appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself if you have no helpful suggestions to give. I understand you may have more experience but you didn't know how to do it right out of the gate eaither.

Do you have the RCA volume? If you do, take photos of sections of the full length of the rifle. Then you can us one of the online photo stitchers or aka panorama stitchers and make a single photo. If your camera has a high definition you can do it with a single photo. Put it into a banner printer and fiddle with the size and print it.

Sounds like a great idea. I will have to do that

Regarding starting from a blank and a pile of parts and some pictures- that’s how I started in 1979. Most of the flintlock guns built this way in the 1970s and 80s look like they were built in that era. Information and accessibility and classes were limited.

I’m guessing that 10% of long rifles built today are built from blanks. The rest from precarve stocks and kits. Of those built from blanks maybe half turn out to be high quality in architecture, function, fit, and finish.

Before I suggest anyone build from a blank, trying to achieve a close lookalike to a specific original, I want to see what they have built up till now, and what those builds taught them. It’s not easy. “Just do it” often results in a good functional gun that has a number of issues. Good lessons learned, or a decision that “I’m not going to try that again!”

Here’s my rendition of RCA 19 from 2009 before any castings or precarves were available.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2559.jpeg
    IMG_2559.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2560.jpeg
    IMG_2560.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg