• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ready to buy! Advice? Opinions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinStar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some advice and opinions. Getting ready to buy a parts set for a smoothbore 20 gauge with a 42” barrel.
Likely to be one of the following. Advice? Opinions?

Pecatonica Fusil (don’t really like what I’ve read about L&R locks, but could be wrong)

TOTW Northwest Trade gun

Mold & Gun Shop Type “D” with Larry Zorn lock
Mold & Gun Shop “Tulle” same lock as above
Mold & Gun Shop Jacob Dubbs smooth rifle with Zorn lock

TOTW Fusil De Chasse with Davis lock

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Looking for a parts set, not an in-the-white gun.

Looked at Northstar West and heard good things about them ; but would likely need more cash. They are just a little high for me right now.

I am considering the ones I listed.

Tired of the modern gun thing. Really enjoyed the deer I have taken with the Renegade Hunter and a CVA Mountain Rifle I used to own. Want a flinter bad and like the smoothbore's versatility.

TinStar

I have been watching the parts list for the TOTW trade gun for a couple months. They still claim the lock to be unavailable for 3 months.

I got mine as a kit, type "C", through Sitting Fox, it was a mold and gun shop kit. I had Sitting Fox assemble it for me as it was beyond my capabilities. I am very happy with it.

The Northstar West Trade Gun is +/- $20 bucks compared to the TOTW kit , Take into consideration that the North Star West kit comes with wood and metal finish , top quality walnut is the default wood , breech plug installed ,and you get an instruction BOOK and all the help you need from Matt at North Star West.Also NSW barrels are lighter than the colerain you will get at TOTW. When you take all of this into consideration , the NSW kit is an awesome deal.

I have only heard SUPERB reports about Northstar West guns. For what that's worth. Also the used guns for sale here are superbly priced!

Track's double wedding banded barrels are way to heavy for my liking, a friend built the tulle, and Im'e glad I didn't go that route. Not all colerain barrels are profiled the same, so ask whoever you decide on alot of questions.
I have 3 guns with Davis locks, and I think they are only second to a chambers lock, I don't like the L&R's (had 3) but I know guys that love them and have very good luck with them.
I just finished a club butt from sitting fox, and I am very pleased with it, Colerain barrel, not too heavy, Davis large trade lock, Stock is a fair to lower grade maple, a little soft, but for what I wanted it is ok. Give Ray a call at sitting fox, and talk to him, he is a really easy guy to work with, but then again most in this "hobby" are. Good luck.

I have both a Pecatonica fusil and a Track of the wolf Northwest gun. I have actually had a little trouble with the Davis lock and none with the L&R, however I would rate them both as very good locks. The shape of the fusil is kind of brutal on the cheekbone, it needs to be reshaped to help that. Both have a heavy barrel. I like both guns, but bought a Leonard Day Dutch trade gun and haven't shot either of the other two since I bought the Leonard Day gun four years ago.

For a trade gun, go for a lock from North Star West, they're available. They are very good too.

I would agree they are both quality good locks, I personally just have had better luck with the davis. My early english Chambers is a really good luck, that I like just a little more. I too have a L. Day dutch trade gun,(Iv'e become enarmoured with club butts) but have only shot blanks through it at events. Had to rework the frizzen spring, as the frizzen would "bounce" back, I annealed, rebent, and tempered, and not it works better. Probably live fire it in the spring when it's nicer out.

i have two guns that i built with L and R locks.i love them and have noproblems with them.. my chambers the tumbler sheared off while i was building the gun..it seems nice and everyone seems to like them.. as far as reaasembling the land r is easier to take apart and put back together...

I went with a TOW "Tulle' with 44" barrel and davis lock the parts need somew tweeking but will give a gun a bit closer historicaly than anything you can get ready made, do consider if the historicaly correct aspect matters any as this will affect the choices. If PC/HC matter forget any of the C or D guns offered. The TOW NW guns is probably about the best bang for the buck as i recall price wise, I think their "Tulle" is a couple of hundred $ more. One really needs to consider what the gun will be used for(is reenacting/different types of hunting? in the future) and what PC/HC level if any is wanted that will reduce the field of choices. I have had no problems with several L&R locks myself. Most any of the guns mentuioned are probably about the same quality, do find out if the oct to round barrel is of tubing and has taper in the oct section, this is an issue for many. Deal with it all before buying.Type of wood can also be a factor in choosing a gun.Make a list of all the issues that you want or do not want and then start eliminating by the list. Be carefull of any glowing recomendations of any source by those who have only owned one brand/type of gun, go with the recomendations of the experienced folks who have held/used many different makes/types. Good luck and enjoy the journey

I have to ask. How did the tumbler get sheared off? Where you using a screw driver to pry off the hammer? That is what breaks everyone that I have heard about and it will happen to other makers tumblers as well if you pry them off.Also the Chambers lock has a fly that has the pin on it, that makes it so it can only go on one way. Not so on the L&R.That little fly will drop off or out and if you can find it, you will have to think about which way is the right way to get it on. I have more L&R locks because I needed a left hand locks for my SxS shotguns. The guns that are all right handed (except the first one is L&R), learning experience) are Chambers and for one good reason. But the L&R's I have were all sent in to a lock smith to get them tuned. Now, they are much better locks, but you shouldn't have to do that. JMHO and experience YMMV.

Thanks all for the replies.

tg,

I am not really concerned about them being HC and don't intend to do reenacting at all.
Just want something "representative" that will be used for hunting and a little(very little) target shooting. More like practice. Heard good things about the barrels on the M&G Shop smoothbores.
I have to call later today with more questions.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Spoke with Larry Zornes this AM and I am going witht TypeD 20 ga in 42 in. Brass or iron; I will decide when I place the order.

I want to thank all those that participated!
I will need your assistance in the future(and your patience) when I start the build!

TinStar

Glad you found what you wanted, is the barrel made of tubing and does it have any taper in the oct section? The latter can be an issue when aiming/pointing. I am intersted in the good things said about these barrels, could you elaborate?

Back