• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear Sight Preference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say I prefer one over the other completely. I do feel like I need the notch to be slightly wider if using a V-shaped notch.

In the end, I really don't think it matters, after all, what is happening at the bottom of the notch and base of the front sight doesn't matter.

As long as my front sight is visible (I actually prefer it to contrast from the rear, usually a blackened rear and a bright front) and either flat on top or tapered to a point, I'm good with it. I just don't like round top front sights or "aperture" style rear sights that aren't super close to the eye, so "peep" sights and "ghost rings" don't work on a muzzleloader for me.

I have preferred a square notch, with just a little bit of space between the edges of the notch and the sight (so the blade front sight fits tight in the notch). With aging eyes and untreated cataracts (as yet), I think I may want to widen up my rear sight a bit to allow more visible field around the front sight. I dont know if a 'V' type or my usual square type notch would be best.

I have preferred a square notch, with just a little bit of space between the edges of the notch and the sight (so the blade front sight fits tight in the notch). With aging eyes and untreated cataracts (as yet), I think I may want to widen up my rear sight a bit to allow more visible field around the front sight. I dont know if a 'V' type or my usual square type notch would be best.
By you're description of what you like to see, and are used to seeing, I think I'd try a wider rectangular notch. This will keep the vertical lines in your sight picture parallel like you are used to.

As in all things, it depends. A square is better on the target range. If you have to adjust your sight picture for a different distance to target, sometimes the V is easier to use.

As in all things, it depends. A square is better on the target range. If you have to adjust your sight picture for a different distance to target, sometimes the V is easier to use.

A good point. While i prefer the v, there are some situations where a squared sight picture can be more effective such as hunting in thick cover where there is a lot of peripheral interference with the sight picture.

This view (pun there 😀 ) is also evolving in my case and probably for others as well. Now in the trifocal stage the shooting conditions in any given situation can have considerable effect.

Do you prefer a “V” notch or a squared notch on your rifle’s rear sight?
(And why?)
A vertical slot! Why...... All my preferred front sights are a vertical blade. Aligning the front blade into a slot, maintaining equal distance of daylight on both sides is more precise than to have the eye compare wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. My reply is my opinion, not the Bible.
Larry

As my vision continues to degrade I at least can still use the traditional open sights. I've got mostly square notch and "U" notch rear sights and a few of the notches probably need widening.

Latest posts

Back