• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking for an adjustable rear sight for my CVA Hawken. One that is period correct (trapping era)
Adjustable really wasn’t a thing then.
There were folding sights and buckhorn sights
But true adjustable really came after the invention of conical and long range shooting of the creedmore era

I got this one from Track of the Wolf for my T/C Hawken
IMG_20230312_120958802_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230312_121228061.jpg

looking for an adjustable rear sight for my CVA Hawken. One that is period correct (trapping era)
Ok, period correct for the trapping era reproductions, or for the actual trapping era? Assuming the actual trapping era from years gone by, you will need a relatively low rear sight compared to what we currently see and use, with windage adjustable by drifting the sight in the dovetail, and elevation adjustable by using a file. Imagine you will need to give your current front sight a major haircut to get things close. In addition, you may need to lower the stock where your cheek rests to allow you to line up your soon to be new sights. Maybe start with what TOW has to offer, though there are other suppliers.

Back