• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sights.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C RB Barrel....I HATE the factory T/C rear sights. Any suggetstions on options to replace it? I guess I could have the dove-tail cut into the barrel and go that way????
Any "screw-ons" available??
Please and Thank You.

What type of sight are you looking for? If you want to go more traditional, they make a dovetail adaptor that mounts on your barrel using the sight holes that will let you put any dovetailed sight on the barrel. Might also require a taller front site too, but wouldn't permanently alter the barrel.

I noticed a set-up on auction that included the dovetail mount, rear sight, and front sight for cheap. Send me a PM if you want the link!

I like the older T/C sights that were squared, not the wavey sights that come on them now. That might be another option if you aren't wanting to go "non adjustable".

If it was me, I'd just get a peep sight mounted to the tang. Love them and wish I had them for all my rifles!

Anonym

I shoulda stated that I already have the peep sight in addition to the factory adjustable rear sight...I like the peep at the range but It gives me cramps in the woods..I end up with 9 layers of clothes in the late hunt and I dont get the same sight picture with the peep as I did at the range.
Havnt had that same issue with a simple set of buckhorns...

Track of the wolf has a couple long hawken Buckhorn sights w/dovetails. Nice looking sights and if you didn't want to dovetail the barrel file the dovetail off the bottom of the sight and drill and tap! :grin:

Rogue River said:
Track of the wolf has a couple long hawken Buckhorn sights w/dovetails. Nice looking sights and if you didn't want to dovetail the barrel file the dovetail off the bottom of the sight and drill and tap! :grin:

OK since I went to public school in Oregon please help...
I would end up paying someone to do that either way (dovetailing the barrel OR tapping the "filed" sight) which would be most recomendable as the cost would probably be about the same...

We are talking about using simple hand tools. Why would you not want to do these things yourself?? The dovetail would require some painter's Tape( that blue masking tape), a straight edge, a hacksaw, a flat file,and a Triangle file. A machinist's depth gauge will provide the straight edge, and a way to control the depth of the cut.

Take a look at Brook's tutorial at the top of this thread.

Drilling and tapping a hole requires a drill bit correctly sized for the screw size you need to use, and two taps- a standard tapered tap, and a second one which you grind off to that it has no taper and can be used to cut the threads to the bottom of the hole. A Tap Wrench will allow you to turn the taps. Some Tap cutting oil is essential to protect the threads. A straight edge, and a pencil to mark the center for the hole(s), and a center punch. These are common tools that should be in most homes already. Oh, obviously a hammer is needed to strike the center punch. Another common tool.

You can shop the discount stores to acquire most of these tools. Only the taps should cost, and standard thread size taps are still fairly cheap.

TOW or Brownells, someplace like that...makes a thin flat base with a semi-buckhorn on it.
I've seen somebody here on the MLF post photos of it...don't know if they come with screw holes that line up with the T/C screw holes of if the base is blank and you mark/drill the holes...the latter I think.
Looked pretty decent I thought and IMO a lot simpler than the dovetail route

wattsy, check "the gun works" .they might have a screw-on buckhorn for t/cs. ric

I bought my Rear Sight from The Hawken Shop without the holes. Since I work in a Machine Shop. I had the General Machinist drill and C'Bore it for the original TC sight's screws. But you can get the same sight from The Gun Works with the screw holes already in it.

I used a Renegade Blade Front sight. You can get one from TOW.

TCHawken004.jpg

Robert

Robert58 said:
I bought my Rear Sight from The Hawken Shop without the holes. Since I work in a Machine Shop. I had the General Machinist drill and C'Bore it for the original TC sight's screws. But you can get the same sight from The Gun Works with the screw holes already in it.

I used a Renegade Blade Front sight. You can get one from TOW.

TCHawken004.jpg

Robert

Thank YOU!!! Thats Exactly what Im looking for!!
Now I see taht is is NOT adjustable....What did you have to do to "sight it in"?

File your front sight down if shooting low
Get a taller front sight if shooting high
Drift front sight towards group for windage :grin:

Log Cabin has some the use the existing holes and are not adjustable. I can't find the one I bought though.

Okay, this is a somewhat related question in regards to rear sights, and I hope someone doesn't mind helping me out. I just shoot paper and am interested in going with a peep sight. Looking to the future, I am wondering what sights are required/which are restricted in rendevous shoots? If I were to sell the 50 I have, I would not like to mount something that someone might have to take off if they were into that thing.

:idunno: :hmm:

It really depends on the Rendezvous. Everyone has its own rules. Some ban Peep Sights. Others have a special match category for these sights, since they want to attract mainly older shooters who now need a peep sight to remain competitive. Others allow any Iron sight.

Contact the bushways for the rendezvous around your area, and ask them about their rules. The big rendezvous publish their events in Muzzle Blasts, and those ads often give out such rules in them. Join the NMLRA, and you will have that information in hand.

Thanks for the info, Paul. I'm one of those older farts and am seriously considering a peep. Your guidance probably tells me I will go ahead with looking at one.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back