• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sights.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be okay, except for the general rule that PaulV. stated below:

"The general rule is that a peep sight must be no more than 5 inches from your eye( or eyeglass lens) to be effective."

If I put something like that in place of my regular rear sight, it would be quite a bit over 5" away.

:grin:

The sight you linked is the sight that used to be sold by Thompson Center.

I have these sights mounted on 2 of my factory rifles and IMO they are excellent.

They are small, their height is made to be used with the standard Thompson Center front sight and the size of the aperture is just about right for target shooting.

Another plus about these sights over the ladder type sold by Pedersoli is you can remove the eyepiece without changing the sights location.

Said another way, the Pedersoli ladder sight that I have is adjustable for windage but to do so you have to loosen the aperture, slide it over and retighten it. Obviously, with this type of design you cannot remove the eyepiece without loosing its zero.

The TC style sight has seperate adjustments for windage and elevation that do not have anything to do with the tightness of the aperture.

I assume when you talk about my post, you are referring to the TOTW one and not the previous one at Pedersoli, under this same topic. I do like the looks of that one and its adjustability. I appreciate your input on it. I assume it would fit on the tang of my Pennsylvania Scout Carbine (Pedersoli kit), which I assume isn't much different from your factory rifles.

I am also looking at the Merit, suction cup mounted peep that goes on your glasses. I wear glasses all the time anyway and that might be an option. Had any feedback on those (except their being too expensive at $65)?
:idunno: :idunno:

The Merit works very well. It's drawback is that you cannot use it in the field without learning to live with it in your field of view. For target shooting only, it is superb. I use mine when working loads, or shooting for the tightest groups. There is a cheap version by another company, but as I best recall, the hole size is not adjustable as the Merit is, but may still get the job done. Could be Lyman. Look in a Brownells catalog. They have both. Going to the cheap side, you can use a small round price sticker with a small hole in it. PIA to get placed just right, but does the same thing.

Thanks a lot, Wick. I only hunt paper anyway, so maybe it might work for me. I'm still looking at the peep from TOTW, but might eliminate it for some reason. As I said above, I did try the clip-on sunglasses, with a hole drilled and blacked out lens. It did improve my sight picture. I will look at the alternative location to buy the suction cup peep.
:hatsoff:

Okay, Wick, I found both. The Merit is $66.99 and the other cheaper one ($19.95) called the Hawkeye Shooters Optic Aid, is by Lyman as you thought. It has a 1/16" aperture and for the price, sure would be the way to go to try the suction cup idea. Found them both at Brownells. Thanks for the tip.
:thumbsup:

YOu don't need to cover the entire lens of your glasses to get a peep sight to help your vision. Leaving "daylight " on the outside edges of the lens actually helps keep you from getting eye strain. Just take a piece of scotch tape, and punch a hold in it with a leather punch. Keep the hole as small as possible. Its the placement of the hole on the lens that takes the time. I can only recommend that you have the help of someone who can look down the barrel of your EMPTY gun, as you normally hold it for shooting, with you wearing your glasses, so (s)he can tell the exact placement of the "Hole " in the tape to allow you normal sight imaging.

The advantage of using tape is that its CHEAP, easily available, and it will do the job without blocking out a lot of light and contributing to eye strain when you use the glasses for shooting. The tape can be taken off if you don't have a dedicated pair of glasses for shooting. Once you know the location of the hole on the lens its much easier to place new tape with a hole in it on the lens and get back to shooting.

Latest posts

Back