• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

recommend a beginners rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a T/C Hawken .50 I have a friend on another forum selling two. I gave someone in here named David his email address, so there's at least one left. Like new both of them PM me if you are interested. :front:

LOL! dispatch, you are brave....Lmao. It' not at all what he said as to being authentic . And I believe Plastic belongs on an M-16. I'll put it this way if you get a feeling of being a Mountain Man, or Indian Fighter with a plastic BP rifle let me know, cause I've been spanding way too much money on enjoying life the way it was easpecially at Rondevous. They won't even let you in with a plastic gun. Roflmao.... :crackup:

I'm sorry Rat but I had to comment to that. I started shootin' metalic silouette Competition around 1983, and still shoot percusion. Tried Flinchlock on my "Dixie" Tennessee Poorboy .50. And I know alot a real good Flintlock shooters. But if you try hittin' the best outta 40 chickens, turkeys, pigs, and rams against Percussion with a Flintlock, wind, heat, or rain. I'll bet you 5 Beaver pelts and Buff Blanket you ain't gonna win. You see it ain't a natural act to have a trigger pulled a delay, no matter how fast yur lock is timmed, and a big ball a fire in front of your eye.... am I close? LOL ... again I appologize, but couln't resist.
:front:

Greg:
Several here have mentioned the Cabela's Hawkin rifle - I am throwing my vote to that one as well. It is for all intents and purposes a Lyman GPR, both are made by Investarms, the Cabela's model is a little cheaper and has a recoil pad (don't believe the Lyman's do).
I hunt the Pioneer Weapons area a lot, have taken some nice whitetails out there with my Cabela's Hawkin (.54). One modification that I would make should you get one is to put fiber optic sights such as those by Williams. They are still legal for the restrictions out there and give you a decent sight picture during those last minutes of shooting light (Seems like the deer out there don't come out until it is almost too dark to shoot).
Recently I have been shooting sabots through mine for deer hunting. I got tired of the deer having enough steam with a round ball hit, to run to the bottom of one of those 300' ravines out there and then having to pull him/her out using your own muscle power. A .452 Horandy JHP, 250 gr. in a .54 sabot I am finding is dropping them where they stand, even out to 100 yrds. I know the traditionalist are moaning right now about using the saboted rounds but, being able to put 'em down without the down-hill death run is a fine feature when hunting rough county like the Pioneer Weapons WMA.

Smokin Gun I was just trying to get him started,The bobcat is not expensive,and a good reliable gun for the money,I never said that it was authenic,Mine is not it is just a lightweight fun little gun to shoot.Also if he looks around a little he can propably find one with a wood stock.Greg check out pawn shops.I found a ST LOUIS HAWKINS cva new never been shot for $75.00 This hobby or what ever you call this addiction does not have to be expensive,to be fun. :m2c:

Welcome Greg! :thumbsup:

Good advice thus far.

I'd strongly suggest a caplock if this is your first ML. Then after you get the hang of everything, making the jump to flint should be easier.

Not knowing your budget. Flintlock's will be slightly higher than percussion rifles will be.

I'd also highly recommend a Thompson/Center either new or used in good shape but they will not likley be your lowest cost rifle. Especially if you are not sure as to what a good used one looks like.

I'd say New the Lyman Deer Stalker or Trade rifle in .50 or 54 percussion would be an excellent choice.

Traditions Deer Hunter or Panther for under $150.

Used, you will have a tougher time finding a rifle in flint that is also in good condition.

For the bargain ML'er, the CVA Bobcat New under $100 (local here in Michgain at a shop for $69) is not a bad little percussion rifle. Nothing spectacular and no frills but likely your lowest cost new to get started. The bobcat is a decent little shooter.

Easy now fellas, not trying to start a Blackpowder war :: Reminds me a bit too much of some archery forums I visit from time to time :youcrazy:

Not really sure which direction I'm gonna go with this yet, but I appreciate all the suggestions. Good food for thought. I'm familiar with Sam Fadala from his archery writings, so I may have to pick up that book. I do think I'll go with a .54, provided the model I choose is available in that caliber. Recoil doesn't bother me, and a little extra lead never hurt anything, even if it's never used for elk.

Another thing I should've mentioned, I understand that a high degree of accuracy is a very good thing, but keeping things in perspective... I've never killed a deer with any type of firearm. Been bowhunting for 19 years, so I'm used to having to get real close. A gun that is accurate to 60 yards doubles the longest kill shot I've ever made on game, and is about four times my average kill distance. So I will in no way feel handicapped by a weapon that won't quite drive tacks at 100 paces.

Greg:
Sounds like the Kentucky cross-bow wars have driven you over the line to the real traditional weapon for hunting. Far better a quality side lock than a X-bow with a red dot scope :shake: Caution though, the BP bug has an infectious bite!

Don't know if the X-bow Wars have driven me over the line, but they sure have driven me crazy :youcrazy: (short trip!)
Nobody seems willing to accept that they are neither a firearm nor a bow. They're an entirely different animal, that just happens to share some traits of each. Oh well, enough of my crossbow musings, it's water under the bridge now.

Still chewing on the rifle thing. My inclination is to go cheap (I realize I'll sacrifice some quality) to start off, since I really don't know exactly what I want. Spent a ton of money (by my standards) figuring out what kind of bow I wanted to hunt with, don't want to go through that again. Not to mention I'll probably be looking to get a blackpowder shotgun before next spring for gobblers.

J.R., maybe I'll see you down at PWWMA this fall. Said I hunt there, but actually only once. Should've said I PLAN to hunt there more often. Neat place, but somewhat intimidating to figure out where to start hunting.

Hi Greg
I am just getting into BP myself. My kids bought me a CVA Bobcat in .50cal for Christmas and it shoots great. They paid $59.00 at Wally World. I dont care for the plastic stock but like I said the rifle shoots great. I bought a Cabela's Hawken in .54 cal. at a gunshow last month and gave $130 for it. I plan on useing the .54 for deer hunting this year and my wife will use the .50. Either one would in my opinion be a good starter gun. Good luck and have fun shooting.

IronMan

Oh well I weren't bein' serious, just pokin' a little fun. :redface:
No problem. I know it was just a jab, so I was just jabbin' back. :winking: :front:

I kinda thought you were, but I was afeared Zonie'd send me a poem. :crackup:

Greg:
:eek:ff:Scounting the PWWMA is the key, that and a good map. A good one that I use a lot comes in several sections on semi-laminated sheets. They sell them at the Clear Creek Groc. just outside of the NF boundry. I found them in Lexington also at Pedal the Planet bike shop on Richmond Rd. Cost about $15.00 for a set. Shows not only the WMA but the entire Cave Run area. The mountain bike crowd uses these maps as well. They show all of the trails, old logging roads and most importantly, the obscure little clearings back off the road a mile or two - find the right one of those and they are very often productive.

Several here have mentioned the Cabela's Hawkin rifle - I am throwing my vote to that one as well. It is for all intents and purposes a Lyman GPR, both are made by Investarms, the Cabela's model is a little cheaper and has a recoil pad (don't believe the Lyman's do).

I respectfully disagree that "for all intents and purposes" a GPR = Cabela's Hawken.

Both my Cabela's Hawkens are 1-48 twist vs. 1-66 in my GPR. In theory at least, you may want to go with the Hawken if you are shooting something other than PRB.

The sights on the Cabela's Hawkens are more "modern" type adjustable buckhorn and front bead than the adjustable buckhorn that comes standard on the GPR. The standard front blade on a GPR is just a thick blade, no bead. You can, however, put new sights on either of them.

Neither of my Cabela's Hawkens have a recoil pad (neither does my .50 GPR). I suppose you could get one.

There are other basic differences such as stock geometry, barrel length etc.

If you are hunting elk for sure, get a .54. Any of the rifles listed in the various posts would do fine for a first rifle for hunting, plinking and general target work.

:imo:

Greg,

If your on a budget, do what I did. Look at all of the major manufacturers rifles on the internet and know what you are looking at when go shopping. I went out with a friend one Saturday morning looking in Pawn Shops. The sixth one we intered I saw a T/C Hawken on the shelf that looked new, it had a bit of rust in the bore but it cleaned up real nice. I striped the stock and refinished it to my liking with Tru-oil. I picked it up for $100.00. You can find T/C Renegades for $100.00 to $125.00 easy. Get out and hit the Pawn Shops and don't buy the first rifle you find. Unless it is one you really want. My friend tried to talk me out of buying the T/C Hawken, because of the rust in the barrel, but after I cleaned it up he wishes he had bought it himself.

One more thing. T/C means it when they say they give a liftime warranty. I found out that my Hawken had a broken sear and I called T/C and the man in the repair department immediately asked for my address and shipped me one free of charge, along with a new owners manual.

:results:

Good luck,
Robert

My first black powder rifle was a Cabela's Hawken. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Recommended it to a couple of friends and they still have theirs and use them regularly. I wanted a full-stock rifle and couldn't afford two so it had to go. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. :m2c:

If you are looking for something cheap keep a close eye on pawn shops. In the off season you can pick up a sidelock very reasonable. The inline craze has hit many hunters and they don't want traditional guns anymore. I would recommend a TC gun though. If anything is broken you call call them and they will fix it.

Back