• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

recommendations for a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Lee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey, how is everyone this morning? I'm a new member here, coming from the centerfire/rimfire world, and I have some historical interest in muzzle loaders from the colonial through civil war eras.

I have taken a liking to the wonderful James River series of custom civil war period replicas. What advice would you give for a first ML rifle, if I am drawn to guns of that period?

Thanks! Adam

Make sure you have everything you need to shoot it :wink: Nothing feels worse then being at the range and not being able to shoot because you need a certain tool or piece of equipment. I'm not really familiar with the CW stuff, but that is the best advice I can give. There are bunches of guys on here that can help you out with the CW guns though, just prepare your self to be spending a few more dollars on the necessities.

I would decide whether my interests lay with a Southern or Northern slant and then choose a rifle-musket. For the North you have a number of choices, for the South a bit less. I would think the folks at James River would be helpful with this. I don't think you can do better than their guns. And their prices are very fair for what you are getting. Not only can you re-enact with these rifles, you can also hunt and target shoot with them as well. They are very versatile.

thanks for the reminder, Jimmy - you are certainly right, there is much more to gather for the sport of muzzle loading guns than just the rifle itself!

my key focus at the moment is this: finding a good buy for the balance - good replica, good shooting gun, good longevity as far as lock, stock, and barrel are concerned. I'm not above considering a browse at the Dulles or Fredericksburg gun shows, whenever I can get to them, for used ML's as well as new.

Besides the tune-up jobs James River does with the Italian (I presume) guns they start with, are there some other good quality brands I should be looking at? Again, this is all with a mind towards a re-enactor grade, shooting at paper targets grade, ML. Not for hunting.

thanks, guys!
Adam

dang, Russty! You beat me to my own reply! Thanks for your ideas. It would be with a Southern bent as far as CW focus, beings as I'm a born & raised Virginian, and all, with Stafford County CW roots.

I might actually go for a visit to James River's shop - it seems like it's in Maryland - might could be a good excuse for a road trip!

Adam
Russ T Frizzen said:
I would decide whether my interests lay with a Southern or Northern slant and then choose a rifle-musket. For the North you have a number of choices, for the South a bit less. I would think the folks at James River would be helpful with this. I don't think you can do better than their guns. And their prices are very fair for what you are getting. Not only can you re-enact with these rifles, you can also hunt and target shoot with them as well. They are very versatile.

Welcome aboard. The North-South Skirmish Association has their 117th National Smirmish this May 14-18 at Fort Shenanoah just off of Rt 522 north of Winchester, VA. There are most every kind of Civil War sutlers, Guns amd gun supplies at this event. You should see James River Armory at the Fort You can get directions to the fort at the N-SSA.org site.
Hope that this helps.
BPWRL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had cap and ball revolvers for 15 years but I purchase my first muzzle loading rifle musket about 8 months ago. I managed to do a little shooting at the range last fall after I secured all the extra supplies I thought I would need. I did some expermental shooting with various types of pre-cast mine balls and powder loads. The list of lubricants, solvents, gadgets and supplies can be endless but I think I have narrowed the list to a few esentials.

I don't know anything about James River Mercantile because I cannot find their website, if they have one. Anyway, I purchased an Armi Sport P53 Enfield .577 cal. rifle musket with a slow 1-72" twist. It was defarbed, included a bayonet for close range and canvas sling, all from Blockade Runner Inc. Wartrace Tennessee.

If your musket rifling will have a slow twist, that is, 1-62" to 1-78" twist, a .900" Moyers so-called .58 Cal. (575213-OS) minie will be better stabilized in flight. The rifles with fast twist rifling such as 1-66" or 1-48", seem to handle the 1.00"+ long (and heavier) minies better. After what little practice I have done since last fall, Moyers 575213-OS, 460 gr., minie balls seem to load easy after 20 shots before cleaning the bore, and are consistantly on the paper at 100 yards using 45 gr. or 50 gr. load of 3Fg GOEX black powder. I could go a little higher on the powder load but my red nylon cartridge tubes only hold 50 gr. BP with a minie.

Before loading the red nylon cartridge tubes with a Moyers OS minie ball, nose first, I take the time to size the minie in a Dixie Gun Works GA1103 handy little .575" sizing die chucked in a small vise on my desk. The other pre-cast minies I have purchased and fired are from Track-of-the-Wolf and are made from Lyman molds such as the 575213(new style)510 gr., 575213-PH (longer minie, designed for Parker Hale rifles) 566 gr., and the 577611 Confederate Gardner style, 540 gr. with 2-grooves. I still prefer the Moyers so-called "58 cal." 575213-OS 460 gr. minie. I also purchased 50 swaged English Pritchett style, paper patch lubed, 530 gr. smooth side minies from Dixie Gun Works (BU0906) but I have not tried those yet due to the lubrication and leading issues. All the above minies size at .575" . In my opinion, most shooters over-lubricate their minie balls. I melt SPG and dip lube the grooves of the minies and remove the excess after they are loaded in the cartridge tubes. I soon will try some Rooster Jacket Paper Patch Lube for easier and as a minimum lubriction and see how it performs. Whatever lube you use, do not shoot black powder with a petroleum base lubricant such as liquid ALOX or wax with ALOX in it, because it mucks up the barrel. I was warned about that by the "old pro" at the rifle range last fall. Cleaning solutions and lubricants are varied as womens shoes. I like SPG, Rooster Jacket, Ballistol, hot soapy water and I ALWAYS use 100% cotton cleaning patches.

Get a good steel range rod with 10-32 threads for cleaning jags (a DGW UA0816 Spin Jag is a nice gadget) , ball puller, mops and bore brushes. Get a breech plug scraper attachment to clean the face of the breech plug and buy a few extra nipples.

This has worked for me so far.

Adam Lee said:
Hey, how is everyone this morning? I'm a new member here, coming from the centerfire/rimfire world, and I have some historical interest in muzzle loaders from the colonial through civil war eras.

I have taken a liking to the wonderful James River series of custom civil war period replicas. What advice would you give for a first ML rifle, if I am drawn to guns of that period?

Thanks! Adam

From experience...I'm a smokeless pilgrim into muzzleloaders like you.

Run.

Run away, Now. Fast.

I bought a James River M1861, when I mentioned I was in Penna, they suggested a James Rice "PHILADELPHIA" lock marking. -----Jayeeesus----- it was perfect when it came. I can't muster the courage to soil it on the range. They took all the manufacturers marks off and replaced them with period correct proofs, cartouches and stamps. Here are enlargeable pics of my JRA M1861:

If you're going down this road, move fast. I spoke with Mike Hartmann of JRA a few days ago, civil war business is -way- down and they're moving over to W.W.II restorations.

JRA's website: http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/Firearms.htm

So, now I'm already thinking of another as a range beater. Hopefully it will shoot straight, I have a handful of 58 Minie bullets with a hardnesses under 8.

As a first gun, the JRA M1861 is probably as good as any if for no other reason that it uses a standard 58 cal minie, which is easy to find or cast yourself. I always cast my own, since bullets are costly to ship and I like the added element of logistic independence. The bullets can be problematic for beginners. They are hollow base bullets that use a pressure-assist seal instead of a patch and rifling engraving during loading. Low powder charges, weak powder, excess lead hardness can act singly or in concert to prevent skirt sealing, causing atrocious to non-existent accuracy. I'm struggling with this now with an M1842 rifled musket. The upshot is you don't need a spotting scope, as the bullets make a geyser of dirt when they hit the berm/backstop.

JRA used a progressive rifling depth Hoyt barrel on mine, as far as I know they still are.

Also get familiar with thorough cleaning procedures for black powder firearms. They are more susceptible to corrosion from the propellant residue, and most long arms lack the means for a through-shot cleaning the barrel. With one end sealed, it's necessary to apply more effort to ensure complete cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Enfield Rifled Muskets are a good choice for either the North or the South.

For those with a Southern bent a brass Framed .36 caliber revolver with a round barrel would be about right.

Before you buy a gun you should handle as many as you can and throw them up to your shoulder and see if any fit you better than others.

Many Klatch

Burn some black powder. Inhale, breathe deep. exhale do again. Ahhh!! Onoe odf the many wonderful smells of M/L activity. Goes along with bacon and biscuits cooked over an open campfire, coffee in the early morning, The smell of Hoppe's #9. Welcome aboard! You are hooked now!

I have an orginal 1861 with the PHILADELPHIA stamp on the lock.I am thinking about putting it in the classified ads,if I can ever figgure out how to post pictures.These computers confuse and befuddle me.

That tune up that they do is worth the money. And if you are going to be target shooting the skirmish grade rifle-musket would be the way to go. I would definitely call them and ask for their advice. And talk to the North-South Skirmish folks about what equipment you need. They may frown on modern plastic goodies, for example, and can give you a list of what is needed.

Zonie said:
The Enfield Rifled Muskets are a good choice for either the North or the South.

For those with a Southern bent a brass Framed .36 caliber revolver with a round barrel would be about right.

If you are going to reenact you'll probably have to do both North & South. The Enfield is an excellent choice for both sides.

Back