• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommended cleaning method?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm new to this forum- but not new to Muzzleloading by 30 years. My other interests include shooting sub-bore rifles at tiny targets at long range and for that, I frequent www.saubier.com.
: As to cleaning your pinned Flinter, I'm surprised so few use the reccommended method of the English for 2 centries or more. That is COLD water & cold water only. My barrels last for decades of heavy shooting & cleaning unlike other guys in the club who use hot water, and rot their breeches and rebarrel every few years because of the pits in the breech. Every time you use hot water, you increase & deepen the flash-rusting that happens when the water evaporates. I do use a water displacing lubricant to get the last of the moisture out & seal the pores of the steel. WD-40 or Amsoil MP are good ones. Hot water CAKES the powder in the breech, while cold water disolves and flushes it. This was the method of cleaning told to a buddy of mine who collects fine BP English Doubles, rifles and shotguns, by Holland and Holland themselves.
: I take mine down every time I clean them. In the future, I'll pick up or build myself a flush-tool, but for 30 years I've been taking them down to clean. Just be careful and you won't hurt the fittings of pins or wedges & screws.
Most Sincerely,
Daryl
CDN

Musketman, oh jeeze, you really are asking for it! That made me laugh. I can imagine the little lady going in the bathroom after you. She would think you ate a dead rat and died. ::

Back