• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recovered .570 Balls from Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundball said "Len, there are so many armchair theorists spouting out mis-information its incredible...don't have a clue what they're talking about..."

No... where have you seen this lind of thing happening? :stir:

The .54 PRBs taken from elk I've shot are similar to those shown but are flatter possibly due to higher velocity {130 grs 2f}. PRBs are the projectile of choice....I just wish they were longer for a better sectional density? :grin: ...Fred

flehto said:
The .54 PRBs taken from elk I've shot are similar to those shown but are flatter possibly due to higher velocity {130 grs 2f}. PRBs are the projectile of choice....I just wish they were longer for a better sectional density? :grin: ...Fred

Yeah, that could be. I recovered a .54 ball from a wild hog a few years ago and it was really flat. I gave it to my friend that owns the property I was hunting on because he thought it was cool I was hunting with a "Musket" :haha:

Wow, That is impressive performance. Years ago I shot a 5x5 (appox. 650lbs) with a 270 and 150 grain bullet at 40 yards. Like your round balls it penetrated fully broadside and stopped under the hide on the other side. The bullet retained about 110-120 grains and now is about .530 in diameter. I think round balls have a significant advantage once contact is made. They retain 90+% of their weight consistently. Only premium (high dollar) bullets compare in weight retention. No doubt 45 cal and up conicals would do the job as well but I am partial to round balls.

Really impressive this mushrooming. :shocked2:
Especially the fact that these soft lead balls didn't loose nearly nothing of their material. Better than any modern bullet.

Waidmanns Heil! :thumbsup:

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Latest posts

Back