• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recovered Projectile Pics Wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC these are all .50 cal. I've rarely recovered a .45 cal ball; they mostly want to go through and through.

This is the front and back of a .530 ball propelled by 110 grains of goex ff. Range was about 35 yards. Ball entered low just behind the foreleg of a large cow elk, centered a rib, traveled across the top of the heart disconnecting most of the plumbing. Also took both lungs, passed between ribs on the far side and was caught by the skin.

I've had other game that stopped the ball on the off side but they remained with the gut pile. It would take a metal detector to find them! This and a maxi ball recovered from a bull elk are the only ml projectiles I have ever recovered. Can't find the maxi ball but it could show up some day.

The white striations on the impact side of the ball are pieces of rib bone embedded in the lead.

54ballback.JPG

54ballfront.JPG

it looks like it held up for duty very good. you said it was a big cow elk about how much do you guess it weighed. just asking, what kind of rifle were you using? thanks toccopola

No guess on the weight. Was the lead cow, so a fully mature animal. Ball was a hornady. Rifle was a GPR.

Back