• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Redesigned English Trade Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Recently re-designed my English trade knives per Pichou's posting of some original blades. What do think? 3/32" 01 steel with tapered tang, distal tapered blade. Walnut grip with iron pins. Yeah I know Pichou, they should be boxwood. I love blond women, but I hate blond wood. I would use boxwood if requested though.
pennyknife633_640x480.jpg

Wick- I think you really have something there, if you are going to do a replica- might as well be on the money. If I recall from your website the tang tapers to the rear. BTW how do you make that tapered cut in the handle?

I think the 3/32 is correct and 01 can't be beat.

And.... on the wood. I think boxwood, English Ash, and rosewood were three original choices. Those three choices are on Wilson catalogs. Other red colored wood includes two 1820 NW Co. orders that have camwood and barwood- and that's for the +L scalpers. Denig at Ft. Union says logwood but that may have been on the G-Crown-R/Furnis or the +/F scalpers, or Denig could have been wrong.
In the Carolyn Gilman L&C book she says Clark thought the wood was rosewood and a knife in the Carl P. Russell book was analyzed and found to be rosewood so............
Rosewood is pretty much available- I get mine at woodcrafters and seems to be pc so I'd offer the knife in rosewood as well.
On some of the originals the handles are more box "y" looking but such a style might not sell, you could probably offer it on your website as an option to anyone that is a pc nut.

Your scalper is the best, most accurate scalper of any custom maker I have seen to date. Nice job.

You may have something with the rosewood. I cut the slot with a bandsaw, after drawing the taper on the grip. Stand by, a Cross-L is in the making! I made the pattern. It is just a case of getting to it.

Very nice Wick. The walnut looks great as would the rosewood. I to have never been a fan of blonde wood,but some do.

I may have posted this before (I'm sure Mr. Negative will let me know)...

Camwood, barwood = padauk and red sandalwood.

Rosewood... thanks for the ref! :bow:

Beech, box? Yew in Simpson's Athabasca journal/inventory of 1820-1.

I think the first 2 were most common.

Pichou: now I know I am losing it, you are absolutely correct- I bought some American beech (for a replica butcher knife)and also some ash(for an axe handle)at the same time and my earlier post is wrong about ash as a Wilson handle material. The Wilson 1898 catalog has Beechwood, Boxwood, Rosewood, and Ebony as options on their half tang, 5 pin flaying (skinning) knives. The Wilson #2634 has a 6 1/2" blade, 4 iron pins and a brass a screw (in the middle of a 5 pin "H" pattern). One of the inventory lists on the xmission site lists the Wilson #2634 however patterns could have changed over time.
On boxwood- I have looked around for some and can't find any, in fact a lot of places had no idea what I was talking about. I think the French knives often had boxwood handles. Does anyone have any sources?
Sorry about the ash, I guess I made an ash out of myself :confused:

Wow....It's rather simple, but obviously well crafted and probably sharp enough to keep most barbers and samurai happy :grin:

It looks similar to a really really early Bowie knife which made the cover of Backwoodsman magazine several issues back
I've seen some old English planes and other tools that utilized boxwood, and agree that it probably wouldn't look as good as a darker wood.....Then again, you could always stain boxwood or add 'patina'

All in all I really like it, and would like to get one of my own someday to replace my "frontier" knife. I have the perfect piece of stag crown for a handle, and wonder if you would sell the blade separate.

Good work!

Iain

Wick, I wish I had seen this one before I bought the one I have now! Very nice!

Warren

Back