• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reg. season hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Bumppo said:
This year I will use a flintlock for deer and bear. Using .22LR for turkey. I don't have a small bore flinter or a smoothbore (yet). I can't see shooting a turkey with a .50 cal but it is legal where I'm from.

I've used my TC 50 cal Hawken on turkeys, just do a head or neck shot!

I wasn't going to comment on this post left and came back because I feel the need to state something realivant to this post. If you are talking about having a traditional season that coincides with archery season such as in Kansas then the archery bows do have something to lose. Truth be told I love archery hunting more then hunting with any style firearm, its a quiet relaxing sport with no bang bang bang going off all morning. Plus then it requires me to wear orange during bowseason, and thats just weird to me. If your talking about a seperate season not scheduled during bow season then the archery guys have no business to complain. Anyone who has bowhunted knows its a tough task to get a shooter buck within 30 yards, at the right angle and a clear shot to the deer now imagine a your about to draw the bow to take this fine animal and a fellow hunter 200 yards away touching off a muzzleloader and the deer blows out of the area. I am all for having a special traditional muzzleloading season just not during bowseason. We already share the bowseason with small game hunters, fall turkey hunters, preditor hunters, and duck hunters. Now I understand the seasons run together but when I am in a treestand bowhunting deer and squirrel hunters come along and start shooting 22 rounds and shotgun pellets through the trees at running squirrels and I get peppered with shot then I get a bit upset. The moral here is there needs to be an archery season, and a gun season be it modern gun, or traditional perferably seperate seasons with the primitive first but not during bowseason. Just my opinion. Plus I look forward to the different opening days for each season it makes it fun.

If you are talking about having a traditional season that coincides with archery season such as in Kansas then the archery bows do have something to lose....,

now imagine a your about to draw the bow to take this fine animal and a fellow hunter 200 yards away touching off a muzzleloader and the deer blows out of the area...,

We already share the bowseason with small game hunters, fall turkey hunters, preditor hunters, and duck hunters...,

when I am in a treestand bowhunting deer and squirrel hunters come along and start shooting 22 rounds and shotgun pellets through the trees at running squirrels and I get peppered with shot then I get a bit upset.

For this argument to work, FIRST the deer have to be able to tell the difference at 200 yards between a guy firing a muzzleloader vs. a guy shooting 3½" magnum turkey load or the same size waterfowl load, PLUS you have to explain why it is not a problem for your hunt having squirrel, or turkey, or predator hunters in the woods with you, BUT suddenly would be a problem if you added the muzzleloader hunters, AND you have to show that NONE of the squirrel, turkey, or predator hunters aren't already using muzzleloaders and simply aren't hunting deer. (Not to mention folks shooting deer when they have a crop damage permit) Followed by data showing that a good percentage of the deer harvest in Kansas was from public hunting areas, where the mixing of the archers and firearms people actually occurred...,

REALLY? :shake:

The ONLY difference between what is going on right now, and what was proposed, is that the archery folks would be competing for the deer with the muzzleloader folks, and perhaps the deer might be more cautious after the first week of the season, due to experiencing close rifle shots, and thus make it harder for some archers to get the deer to come in close, but if all those other gun hunters are out there already with you, and you're not having a problem with the deer getting close..., adding muzzleloaders to the mix isn't going to ruin the chase for the archers.

The Archery companies and the people who make money writing about archery, stand to lose money, as there are folks who archery hunt simply to start taking deer before guns are allowed, just as there are those who use inlines simply to extend their season. Don't believe me? Try restricting archery to "primitive" status without compound bows or crossbows, no sights, and only those with a certificate from an orthopedic surgeon can get permission to use the modern stuff..., and see what's the reaction.

:haha:

LD

Ok I see your logic on this and it makes sense. There is no clear answer here. I support the traditional aspect of hunting and belong to a pure tradional hunt club where we lease land and hunt our way, and thus it is tougher hunting with a recurve bow or flintlock and we also have a 125 inch rule on the bucks and you must harvest a doe before you earn rights to shoot a buck. The bucks are big for this reason. Your never going to win out on the lobbist for any hunting season and the states don't care because its all about money. I am for hunting period, you choose how you like to do it, as long as its legal. I would be willing to have a traditional gun season during bowseason, especially during the middle of the october lul when the deer quit moving might be nice to have some hunters helping keeping the deer active until pre-rut time. Im a Michigan boy where archery hunting is 45 days long before gun season thats more then enuff time to share with the traditional muzzleloader hunters but then again there is a muzzleloading season following gun season, then a late doe only season so it equals out in the end 45-45 days each. Lets bond together and support hunting as a whole and we choose how we hunt according to our beliefs and preference. If not the hunting sport will be taken away.

Matt85 said:
i could hunt in modern season here but i would not want to. first of all i dont trust most modern hunters abilities and second i dont like compete with others for deer.

-matt

I agree. Besides, during ML season there are fewer people in the woods and ML season falls during the elk rut. In Colorado ML season also falls during the last 2 weeks of archery season and does not cause a problem.

Back