• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reg. season hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only hunt with flintlocks. Hunted in a driving rain yesterday and the gun went off fine after the hunt when I loaded up to come home. I have not used a centerfire in years.

Havent used center fire in a good many years. Always use a flinter and it goes bang at -20, sleet,rain, and snow. Even sunshine.

Well, fellow over-taxed New Yorker; this is the first year for me with a flintlock too. And it too is a smoothbore that I put together from a parts set. Good luck!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

RC said:
I hunt only with flinters, smooth or rifle all season..have for years..rain sun snow..
the only days I'll miss is in the rain.
. :hmm: ...cows knee..... :wink:

hell it's a thrill even if gun don't go off..!! I dropped the hammer on a spike three times one time...changed the flint and seen him again..course then he was goin about deer6 so no shot, but I'll never ferget it! :haha:
I have a cows knee, looks like I'll be breaking that out on the rain days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a flintlock for the last 30+ years. Good thing you weren't trying to hunt here in NYS with a smoothboar years ago, it wasn't legal. It had to be rifled. Even a 75cal BrownBess wasn't legal. It has all changes now days, all NYS cares about is the money for the license.Anything that is called a muzzle loader is now legal from 44cal. on up. The only change that should have been made was to allow smoothboars.

Jim

Vearl said:
Who in their right mind would hunt with a C/F rifle?
I hunt with my BP rifles in muzzle loading season as well as the regular season. I figure that I can prolong my enjoyment, by using my rifles in both seasons.
Twice the chance to make meat and make smoke. Plus you can show all the RAMBOS how it really is done.
Vearl
Where I hunt, running into a Grizzly is a very real possibility, infact, having them right in the front yard is not a rare occurance! Yes I have been charged and so have several other people I know here. On the day I was charged I was going to carry my TC 50 cal Hawken cap slapper but at the last second I grabbed my Win. mod. 70 .338WM and will never regret that decision! I now hunt with my kids exclusivly and must be able protect them but within a couple of years I hope to be hunting with a flintlock most of the time! The conditions of the hunt may dictate who is in their right mind!

This year will be my 8th straight of ML-only for deer. Firearm season and ML-only season. No matter what the weather. :thumbsup:

Last year I hunted with flintlocks exclusively.

It's MLers for small game too. The only thing I ever use a CF for anymore is waterfowl. Even that may change whenever I get all the guns I need. :grin:

jethro sayed.. [quote Even that may change whenever I get all the guns I need. ][/quote]

RC says.... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
never happen! :wink:

sleeperNY said:
I've been using a flintlock for the last 30+ years. Good thing you weren't trying to hunt here in NYS with a smoothboar years ago, it wasn't legal. It had to be rifled. Even a 75cal BrownBess wasn't legal. It has all changes now days, all NYS cares about is the money for the license.Anything that is called a muzzle loader is now legal from 44cal. on up. The only change that should have been made was to allow smoothboars.

Jim
Sleeper, Back then I hunted with a smooth bore flintlock and in reading the syllabus one day noticed that in the legal weapons description it did indeed say 'rifled barrel'. I asked one of the local game cops about it, explaining the situation. His only comment was that he wasn't going to look down the barrel :grin: . I still felt uncomfortable about it and working through the Sportsmans Federation, we got the rifling requirement removed.
It pays to keep membership with a hunting/ shooting club that belongs to the Federation. Strength in numbers!
Haven't taken a deer with C/F in almost forty years.
Robby

Where I am and where I am concerned, it's either open for my flintlock or not. I've never taken a deer with a breech loading firearm. In fact it's been at least 5 years since I took any game with something other than a BP rifle or shotgun.

LD

Howdy!

Flintlock hunting only for me, in kit. Rain or snow. Cows knee and a wool matchcoat keeps me powder dry.

;) :)

Black Hand said:
wirehairman said:
There is no ML season in Montana, so I hunt the regular rifle season with my ML's. I have never felt like I'm giving up any competitive edge and regularly am more successful than many toting around the most advanced (and expensive) CF they can get because I am patient and actually hunt.

The lack of a dedicated ML season has also kept the $ and the lobbyists from the in-line manufacturers out of our states, and the Fish, Wildlife, and Parks maintains a very "traditional" definition of ML's for the ML only areas.
I am annoyed that the archery contigent has it all locked up. I'd like to see a traditional ML season in MT that extends from Sept to Jan (like archery).

There is too much $ behind the archery industry for the FWP to ever mess with them and allow a simultaneous ML season. We would most likely end up with a late season hunt closely followed by lobbyists for the in-line manufacturers pushing for the ML definition to be changed, followed by scopes being allowed, and on and on.

I understand that there have been threats made by the archery lobby when a ML season has been suggested in the past. Rather selfish and unsportmanlike if you ask me. The archery people lose nothing by sharing a season with the ML contingent.

War Hawk said:
Where I hunt, running into a Grizzly is a very real possibility, infact, having them right in the front yard is not a rare occurance! Yes I have been charged and so have several other people I know here. On the day I was charged I was going to carry my TC 50 cal Hawken cap slapper but at the last second I grabbed my Win. mod. 70 .338WM and will never regret that decision! I now hunt with my kids exclusivly and must be able protect them but within a couple of years I hope to be hunting with a flintlock most of the time! The conditions of the hunt may dictate who is in their right mind!

i get where your coming from but just because you have griz in your area doesnt mean you shouldnt use traditional guns. if i lived in your area i would use my longrifle and carry a modern as a backup. there really is no good reason to use anything but a traditional gun as your primary hunting tool.

-matt

Perhaps all bets are off when it comes to rubbing elbows with a grizzly! Personally, seeing what they can do, I wouldn't feel overgunned with a .338 WM.

Jeff

This year I will use a flintlock for deer and bear. Using .22LR for turkey. I don't have a small bore flinter or a smoothbore (yet). I can't see shooting a turkey with a .50 cal but it is legal where I'm from.

Matt85 said:
War Hawk said:

i get where your coming from but just because you have griz in your area doesnt mean you shouldnt use traditional guns. if i lived in your area i would use my longrifle and carry a modern as a backup. there really is no good reason to use anything but a traditional gun as your primary hunting tool.

-matt

I knew the sow was close, and then she and her two cubs stepped around a tree at about 30 yds! She looked into my eyes and charged closing the distance quickly! I already had my rifle up and the saftey off when she first appeared and I shot as quickly as I could, my shot hit her right shoulder and stopped the charge. The impact picked her front end off the ground and turned her sideways, at which time my hunting partner shot her in the left shoulder knocking her over on her side! she immediately started to scramble to her feet but my second shot took her between the front legs and exited her spine. In the space of 1 1/2 to 2 seconds she had closed the distance to 12 yards! With 3 seconds max to react before she gets a hold of you, do you want to swap rifles? When I hunt with ML I just choose carefully where I hunt!

Back