• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Relocated to Iowa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Aldridge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, just got my internet back after nearly a month. I have recently moved to north central Iowa, Belmond in Wright County to be exact. Are there any Iowans out there who can fill me in on hunting opportunities and muzzleloading supplies?

Looks like Wright county doesn't have much for public game lands. But the county's around it do. Pick up an Iowa Sportsman's Atlas at your local sporting goods store. It is a big help in finding your way around. I live in Johnson county and have public land just five minutes from home. Leon

I'm not from Iowa (except for brief stays in Cedar Rapids and Marshalltown) but I hunted Iowa for years before the DNR either became greedy or business saavy and raised the cost for non-residents to over $600 total.

I hunted zones 9 (NE) and 10 (NC) and found many small tracts of public land (state and county) virtually unhunted...at least during bow season, which would include the mid-October early muzzleloader season in Iowa. Back then (90's) I had absolutely no issue gaining permission and could get on numerous farms by just driving around in early summer and asking. Farmers would even ask me how many I could shoot and were quite disappointed that the answer was "only one." That may have changed now-a-days and maybe if I'd been toting a gun instead of a bow it wouldn't have been so easy.

All I can say is that my time in Iowa was absolutely some of the best deer hunting I've ever had. Mature buck sightings were a "norm"...not an exception. Deer numbers now are probably much lower, as they are in numerous midwest states, but I'll bet the overall hunting is still fantastic.

Good luck in your search.

Back