• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remaking the Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you own a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol, and are also interested in building your own pistol "from scratch", you may be interested in this.
After building my first advanced "kit" rifle from Pecatonica River, I thought it should have a matching pistol.
As I already had a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol I had built from a kit, I decided to use it's lock, trigger and barrel and buy a block of Curly Maple from Dixie to carve my own.
This is how it turned out:
p01.jpg

There are several advantages in building a pistol using this method.
Anyone who has carved a pistol (or rifle) from a block of wood knows one of the hardest parts is to keep the proportions correct. That is to say, what's the width? How much curve does the grip have? How slender is the stock under the barrel? Where do I put the trigger?...
With the existing pistol in your hand, you have the answers to many of these questions.

Another advantage for those who have never carved a stock deals with costs.
Some folks want to build their own gun but are afraid that investing $100+ into a chunk of wood and then finding that they don't have the skill or patients to finish it will leave them with a dam expensive piece of firewood and a box of parts.

If you already have the pistol, the only cost will be the price of the wood. If you mess it up, you still have the original stock so you can reassemble your original gun and only be out the $20-$35 cost of a very nice Curly Maple Blank.

On the above pistol, I went a little farther than just the wood because I wanted it to match the rifle I had built, so I bought a German Silver trigger guard, thimbels, nosecap and star inlays. (Yes, I knew the original guns were done in brass, but I said to H with tradition and built what I wanted in the rifle. What I wanted had German Silver furniture).

You also might notice I added a barrel pin (thru the center of the star) to pin the barrel to the lock. To do this, I had to solder a underlug to the bottom of the barrel.

Oh, these are the only two pictures I have of the pistol and I had to scan them into the computer. I can't show any other pictures of this gun because I sold it.

With winter coming, a project like this is something to think about. :)

You sure make nice looking pistol stocks , Zonie ! How's the pistol you've been working on , coming along ? :thumbsup:

Zonie
I have been thinking about buying a flintlock pistol for range shooting. Your rebuilt pistol looks very nice, but I just want a good shooter. How accurate is yours? Is this pistol rifled, or smoothbore? Would you buy another one?

11th corps: The Pedersoli Kentucky pistols are rifled. They seem to be fairly well made but they seem to have a very heavy trigger pull which doesn't help their accuracy.

As I remember, there isn't a lot that can be done to improve the trigger pull because the main problem is the location of the trigger pivot pin. It's too far forward (relative to the sear release arm on the lock).
When I made the above pistol, I positioned the trigger closer to the grip (moved it aft) to improve this, but with the factory gun your pretty much stuck with what they made because of the way they made it.

How accurate is it? I don't own it any more but I will say it was probably more accurate than the shooter.
Target shooting with a flintlock pistol (IMO) separates the few from the men, let alone separating the men from the boys.
I can't think of a more challenging shooting quest. My hats off to those who can do it well.

Without spending an arm and a leg for something like a LePage, Mang or Mortimer Target pistol the only thing that comes to mind is a Lyman Great Plains pistol. I don't own one of these so I can't speak from experiance but they have recieved some rather good posts on this Forum from others who do own them.

Another option is to buy the parts and build a pistol yourself. Pecatonica River sells the parts for a roughed out pistol, but there is quite a lot of work envolved in getting it put together. The price of the parts (including a walnut or cherry stock) would be about $310 in Flintlock or $290 in Caplock.
Follow the link if your interested.
PECATONICA RIVER KENTUCKY PISTOL

Don't forget, right here on the Muzzleloading Forum we have a "Builders Bench" Forum where you can post any questions you may have about how to build muzzleloaders. :)

I have one of these that is still stock. Now I have another winter project.

BTW, I dramatically improved trigger pull by filing the sear thinner (15 minutes in the field). But yes, a set trigger would go on it...

You finally drummed up some pictures of her! Wow... what a great piece of work!

It's still a shame that the current owner of this pistol and the rifle it matches will not shoot them.

I might just have to do this when I finish my Chambers Lancaster...

I do have one question though: Is there a reason you soldered the underlug to the barrel instead of dovetailing a lug? There sure seems to be plenty of barrel there for a dovetail...

Latest posts

Back