• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remove Barrel for Cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I recently bought a used T/C Pennsylvania Hunter .50 caliber percussion rifle. Shot it a few weeks ago and removed the hooked breach barrel for cleaning using hot water in a bucket. No problem with cleaning that way but now I'm wondering if removing the barrel is the right way to go. Do I risk over time messing up the barrel to stock fit by removing the barrel for cleaning or are guns with hooked breach barrels designed so that barrel removing for cleaning is OK? Are there methods for cleaning BP rifles as quickly and as effeciently without removing the barrel?

Thanks ...

Hooked breech rifles were made to be removed for cleaning. I have rifles that are over thirty years old with heavy use and they are still fine after all the cleanings they have had. You can clean them without removing the barrel but it is much easier if you do.

I also have rifles that have pinned barrels. These I clean with the barrel in the stock. The only times these barrels are removed is if they need repairs or need stock refinishing.

That's what they are designed for. In my opinion, the more you can disassemble a rifle for cleaning the better. I want to be sure I don't have any fouling left anywhere.

HD

I agree with the Huntin Dawg, I don't care if the barrel has keys or pins, hooked breech or not, it comes apart for ease of cleaning. :v :applause:

Thanks guys,

Was really half expecting to read that removing the barrel for cleaning would NOT be a good idea. I'm glad to learn it is OK as it makes cleaning a super easy job. :applause:

For non-hooked breech barrels don't they have a screw through the tang into wood? Is it actually a bolt that goes through the tang going into threaded metal set into the stock under the tang hole?

Tanks again ...

For non-hooked breech barrels don't they have a screw through the tang into wood? Is it actually a bolt that goes through the tang going into threaded metal set into the stock under the tang hole?

It is a bolt that passes thru the stock and secures into the trigger plate.

Many non-hooked breech barrels require the removal of more than the barrel pins and tang screw.

Often, due to the available areas on the lock plate for the lock screw, it will be located very close to the rear of the barrel.
This often results in the rear lock screw passing thru the rear of the breech plug.

If you ever tempted to remove one of these barrels, be sure to remove the rear lock screw before you try to lift the barrel out of the stock. If you don't, there is a good chance that you will bend the tang or break the stock by removing the barrel.

Back