• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing lacquer from metal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheThunderGun

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all I've got a Dublin Castle Brownbess Musket, flintlock, from veteran arms. I'm not looking to refinishing the whole stock or remove the finish on the metal. However it seems when it was being finished some lacquer got onto the metal parts (lock and trigger guard and the end of the barrel) is the only place I noticed it. How could I clean this up without damaging the finish that's on the metal? I know it's not the prettiest of guns but for what I do in my own time it's not bad. I'm judt aiming to clean that up a little.

To do the job right you need to remove the metal parts that have the lacquer finish on them and use a lacquer thinner or acetone to remove it. If you try to clean off the lacquer from the metal while it is in the stock you most likely will remove some of the wood's finish. Good luck.

Back