• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renegade barrel with QLA...what to do ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a .54 New Englander with the QLA. At the crown, the entrance into the rifling at the bottom of the counterbore was 90 degrees with no angle, no bevel and no relief to the sharp edges. The counterbore was large enough diameter than bullets didn't center up to the axis of the bore and the sharp edges cut patches. Being somewhat perplexed by the contraption I called TC and talked to guys in the shop. They confirmed that yes, it was designed that way. So now it looks like this and accurately shoots 400 plus grain .458" diameter bullets over plenty of FFg.

You said "So now it looks like this" but no explanation at to what we are looking at. I can see what appears to be rifling at the muzzle so my assumption is that you simply circumcised it and got rid of the QLA portion of the barrel. Am I correct?

since New Englanders were never offered in .45cal i'm guessin' he had the barrel lined.

if ya look at the face of his barrel right near where the under-rib is, I believe ya can see a line there where it was bored out for the liner.

Back