• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renegade Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillohide

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a complete ready to use Renegade stock for one of my Green Mountain barrels but the high cheek on it is not comfortable for me. My old Renegade was a kit so I sanded it to fit years ago. I'm pretty sure this is American Walnut so thinking I can hand sand it down and rub in gun stock oil without stain until it gets close to the original finish. Anyone else done this?

I've worked on a couple of factory renegade stocks in the last few years, all had a hard finish. I found it best to scrape and refinish the whole stock. You might be able to match the color and finish but if its important to you to have a even finish, I'd suggest refinishing the entire stock with an oil finish.

Was afraid of that. What I get for having a big head, this stock would fit most people.

Lots of people have trouble with the high combs on T/C stocks. The easiest way is to use stripper and remove all the finish. Then you can reshape the entire stock and lower the comb, add a little cast off, thin down the forearm and belly of the stock and reshape the lock panel and sideplate panel. You can wind up with a really pretty and unique rifle for a small amount of enjoyable work.

I'll leave it all together and start taking the comb down till it feels right. Then take it apart, strip, sand and put oil finish on. Much prefer the duller oil finish anyway. Was going to get a blank stock with T/C inletting for a 1" barrel and make another stock for yet another Green Mountain barrel. I'll just put that off till I finish with this factory stock. Not ready to buy the lock, trigger etc. for the new one anyway.

Latest posts

Back