• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

repair broken hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone with a TIG welder should be able to weld it without any excess metal added. I was able to do a good weld on the tang of an original German Jaeger that is still in service. When I enlarge the last picture of the hammer, it does look like a V notch in the front of the cup.

Some hammers have a V notch in the hammer cup up front. Perhaps it is not broken and missing, but the way this hammer was originally made.

I cant tell from the pictures

Fleener
Yes Fleener could be. I'm really sure that all the parts are original. So maybe you're right and this little missing part in the neck of the hammer is not broken and is original too..but why a manufacturer made it? I don't know.

Someone with a TIG welder should be able to weld it without any excess metal added. I was able to do a good weld on the tang of an original German Jaeger that is still in service. When I enlarge the last picture of the hammer, it does look like a V notch in the front of the cup.
Thanks for your answer bpd303.
Interesting, this is my first exposition original rifle so I grateful for all your comments. I shoot with my other pedersoli rifle brown bess. When it will possible I show you more pictures about it. Thank you very much.

The notch or gap in the front was to direct the explosive gasses away from the shooter but not confine them (and their fouling) around the cap nipple.
Very interesting thanks.
Could be, I must assume that the broken part in the neck of the hammer was made by the soldier or the shooter of this rifle, never by the manufacturer, because is not a "clean" broken part, just sims like "broken" and missing part, I want to say that, If it were filed in a square shape with right angles, it would look factory-made, and in fact I have not yet ruled out doing so to improve its appearance and not look broken like now..

Back