• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repair or replace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First day out with gun and dropped it out of a treestand. Wrist broke (see pic), I think I can repair it as far as ability but not sure it i should or just order a new stock. Wood grain (split with grain)
1000005457.jpg
has me a little worried with repair, thoughts?

First day out with gun and dropped it out of a treestand. Wrist broke (see pic), I think I can repair it as far as ability but not sure it i should or just order a new stock. Wood grain (split with grain) View attachment 357888has me a little worried with repair, thoughts?
Re-enactor Besses often have the same break! One guy's Bess was 'resting' in the gun carriage when they started pulling it away! Snap! That's why you see the brass repair plates on them so often. The newer brown wood glue states it has a 4,000 lb. strength! Try it, put a 'cool' brass plate on it, and it's a genuine real-life frontier repair!

Re-enactor Besses often have the same break! One guy's Bess was 'resting' in the gun carriage when they started pulling it away! Snap! That's why you see the brass repair plates on them so often. The newer brown wood glue states it has a 4,000 lb. strength! Try it, put a 'cool' brass plate on it, and it's a genuine real-life frontier repair!
Yeah, I'm ok with how to fix it, just worried with the grain running across the wrist that I could get it strong enough. Thanks for your thoughts.

identical break to my Mortimer. twice. first one i just glued. second one was 3/8 in front of the first.
glued the second break and popped the lock, barrel and trigger guard, drilled from the breach table down through the breaks. poured some epoxy into the drilled hole and then threaded a all thread rod into the hole letting the epoxy ooze out. if you slot the end of the rod you can use a screw driver to get it fully seated.
once the epoxy dried i chiseled out any that was where it shouldn't be. no breaks since.
that reminds me, haven't shot that rifle in 6 months. where are those .535 balls?

I had a break like that and had Brad at Cabin creek repair it ( a metal rod and glued) hard to see the repair he stated that it was stronger than before the repair

Like they say, there are 2 kinds: those who have and those who will break one.

Me, being cursed with detail freakism, it would drive me crazy knowing it's there, so I vote for the new stock. Just checked, they're $400 for plain maple uncarved [LINK].

ETA: carved fancy maple like yours, $960; whoa - glue that one up, sell it, and buy a new kit? Tough decisions...

Last edited:
Like they say, there are 2 kinds: those who have and those who will break one.

Me, being cursed with detail freakism, it would drive me crazy knowing it's there, so I vote for the new stock. Just checked, they're $400 for plain maple uncarved [LINK].

ETA: carved fancy maple like yours, $960; whoa - glue that one up, sell it, and buy a new kit? Tough decisions...
Thanks for the info, guess I'll try a fix first.

Yes, why I'm a little worried about strength.
It's a classic example of bad grain flow in the wrist area. There's not much to be done about it but some sort of reinforcement. It looks like a nice stock so maybe a traditional repair would be the way to go. You could always make up a good story as to how it happened.

First day out with gun and dropped it out of a treestand. Wrist broke (see pic), I think I can repair it as far as ability but not sure it i should or just order a new stock. Wood grain (split with grain) View attachment 357888has me a little worried with repair, thoughts?
Id fix it with a epoxied 3/8" all thread both directions of the crack. There will be a shown crack when done, but that will give the gun character. The crack exposure could be somewhat better in appearance if you wanted to tackle messing with the stain & finish beyond minimum stain dab where color may have been removed. JMO.
Larry

Back