• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repair or replace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were mine, I would use a good industrial strength cyanoacrylate adhesive like Loctite 4471. You may even want to reach out to Loctite directly to get their recommendation for the best cyanoacrylate adhesive for that particular application. I once had a wood and fiberglass 50lb longbow that had a crack running lengthwise through the grip and successfully repaired it with this. As far as the suggestions for the addition of a rod, that would surely make it strong, but I do not see how you would ever be able to get a good alignment between the two parts.

Loctite 158530 Clear Prism 4471 Cyanoacrylate Adhesive

If that's a Kibler maybe you should contact him, I've heard nothing but good things about there customer support and he may wish to help.
Yeah, a woodsrunner, I've seen how helpful they've been but I dropped it out of a treestand, I gotta own it. Was hoping for a better outcome when I got down to fetch it but could understand the break.

Must have made you sick when you got out of the tree and saw the break. Can't imagine that. Personally, I would talk to Jim and get a new stock. Is it the CNC carved stock? Good luck.
Yeah, wasn't happy about it but understood. If I fell 16' out of the treestand, I'm sure I wouldn't have fared any better. Guess the part that added insult to injury was I could have avoided the whole thing, passed on a button buck at 30yds on walk in, LOL.

The more I look at it the better your proposal looks. The break is really far from the breech and aligning, clamping tight, and drilling through that slanted break could be iffy for me. Another variation similar to your dowel suggestion is to inlet and glue in a fat straight grained hardwood slab up from the underside of the wrist to within half an inch of the top of the wrist. Success depends on a great glue job at the break.
This is basically how I ended up repairing the stock on my Colonial. I glued the stock back together, slotted it from the underside from the front of the lock inlet to roughly the nose of the comb, then glued in a piece of hard maple. It was a pain to have to re-inlet everything, but it won't break again.

If it were mine, I would use a good industrial strength cyanoacrylate adhesive like Loctite 4471. You may even want to reach out to Loctite directly to get their recommendation for the best cyanoacrylate adhesive for that particular application. I once had a wood and fiberglass 50lb longbow that had a crack running lengthwise through the grip and successfully repaired it with this. As far as the suggestions for the addition of a rod, that would surely make it strong, but I do not see how you would ever be able to get a good alignment between the two parts.

Loctite 158530 Clear Prism 4471 Cyanoacrylate Adhesive

The alignment is not a issue if you glue it back first then drill after it dry's and put the dowel or rod in last for added strength

Latest posts

Back