• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repair or replace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what happened here, but you have our apologies. Sometimes you get drying checks across the grain in really curly wood, but this doesn't seem the case. Regardless we can get you a new stock if you want or if you would rather try to repair this the new stock is a standing offer in case it doesn't work well.

Not sure what happened here, but you have our apologies. Sometimes you get drying checks across the grain in really curly wood, but this doesn't seem the case. Regardless we can get you a new stock if you want or if you would rather try to repair this the new stock is a standing offer in case it doesn't work well.
Thank you, I'm gonna try a fix, think I have a good handle on how to. It's on me, gun fell 16' out of a treestand so I can't hold anyone else responsible, but your gracious offer is greatly appreciated. If the fix doesn't work to my satisfaction, I'll look into a purchasing a replacement stock.

I don't use threaded rod, but hollow graphite shafts like broken arrows, with small holes groud (Dremel) into the sides like 'Swiss cheese', like every 5/8" down a line on the length of the shaft, then rotate it a bit and stagger the other holes.

Unlike a solid rod, this allows epoxy inside and outside of the rod and the holes become mechanical 'locks', so that along with the chemical epoxy bond, you get both a mechanical and chemical bond.

FYI, the biggest issues with solid all-thread rods is if TOO TIGHT in the hole you prepared, when it squeezes out all of the epoxy ... that bcomes a DRY joint and it will subsequently fail again.

Thank you, I'm gonna try a fix, think I have a good handle on how to. It's on me, gun fell 16' out of a treestand so I can't hold anyone else responsible, but your gracious offer is greatly appreciated. If the fix doesn't work to my satisfaction, I'll look into a purchasing a replacement stock.

I would replace that stock. You could glue, pin, epoxy, mill a threaded rod into it then sleeve …. Wrist repairs are a challenge and the orientations are never the same. For a smooth bore i might repair it, but not for a rifle.

I don't use threaded rod, but hollow graphite shafts like broken arrows, with small holes groud (Dremel) into the sides like 'Swiss cheese', like every 5/8" down a line on the length of the shaft, then rotate it a bit and stagger the other holes.

Unlike a solid rod, this allows epoxy inside and outside of the rod and the holes become mechanical 'locks', so that along with the chemical epoxy bond, you get both a mechanical and chemical bond.

FYI, the biggest issues with solid all-thread rods is if TOO TIGHT in the hole you prepared, when it squeezes out all of the epoxy ... that bcomes a DRY joint and it will subsequently fail again.
a great tip, thank you.

I haven't done a wrist repair yet but have fixed a bunch of other gunstock issues to be invisible unless I point them out. I like the challenge and would fix that break just to see if I could.

I think it was Dave C that showed a fix he did on a top tier gun he made that had the potential to break because of the poor grain orientation in the wrist. He cut a mortis under the trigger guard and plate and carved out a neat elongated square pocket that extended the length and most of the depth of the weak area and glued in a piece of wood to reinforce the area. I can't remember what wood he used; it might have been hickory. After he re-inletted and installed the trigger plate the fix was invisible.

...dropped my ruger #1 45-70 out of my stand, landed on butt pad...
Off topic, but reminded me. They found a guy dead in his stand from the exact scenario near here somewhere I cant remember details; all I remember is it discharged right up thru him.

ETA: Sorry, 1 more: Game warden also told of a guy they found dead hanging in his safety strap, somehow around one side of his neck and under one armpit cinched up choking tight, gun dropped on the ground had discharged, missed him, grazed the tree, but he was strangled anyway.

ETA2: Back on topic, the more I think, I'd just buy another stock from JK, even considering the $$.

Last edited:
Back