• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repairs to a T/C Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishnut2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a .50 cal, T/C "Renegade" whose innards appear to be very rusted. The hammer is locked back, the trigger doesn't move, and a ball, patch and powder charge has been locked in the barrel for the last 5 years, which the previous owner could not remove. The gun is in very good cosmetic shape - - - very minor rust on the trigger guard, stock unmarred, etc. So, I'd like to bring it back.

Does anyone know of a schematic to repair this gun? I'm leery about just opening up the side lock for fear some spring will go "ping," fly across the room, and leave me wondering if I can ever do anything right and the wife assuring me I can't.

I know to soak the breech plug with hot water, etc., from an old 1994 T/C manual, and will try to remove the ball, but the previous owner said he soaked it once, tried to remove the ball, but could not do so. How difficult is it to remove the breech plug ("righty-tighty, lefty-loosy"???)without marring up the barrel? I've no speciality tools.

I'd send it back to T/C, but with the ball and change in the barrel, that would be impossible. Does soaking it "destroy" the Pyrodex or can it dry out and still go "bang?"

Thank you,
Dan

If the previous owner poured water down the barrel and never got the load out the barrel may not be worth saving. It could have a big rusted out area right where the patch and ball is. If he got the powder wet it could be pretty bad there too.

A lot of people on this forum have had good luck with using a grease gun hooked up to the nipple to drive out a stuck ball. I think you are going to have to go this route at this time.

Regarding the lock. Go ahead and take it out of the gun. Nothing will pop off. Oil the inside of the lock and work it a few times. It may help it.

Many Klatch

The barrel might be able to be saved, wont know until you get the load out.My renegade was pretty bad when I got it from a pawnshop ($75) but with some elbow grease and lots of 1000 grit sandpaper it cleaned up good. Still some very small pitting but its accurate.Replacement barrels aren't too awful expensive if you have to go that route.
Ruined octagon barrels make really cool pipe tomahawks! :grin: :thumbsup:

You could get a new lock and trigger group on fleabay or probably other gun auction sites. T/C might even fix it up for you.

Get a 1/4-28 grease zerk and screw it into the nipple hole. Pump the load out with a grease gun.

Then the fun begins...cleaning it!

HD

Invest in a CO2 discharger, about $20 to unplug that barrel for sure you'll use it more than once. :thumbsup:

T/C charges $85 to put in a new breech plug.
Corrosion is not covered by their warranty.
Shipping will be $12 each way. That's a total of $109 and you don't know if the barrel is any good.
I'd look on ebay for a new barrel.

I know a couple of easy ways to unload, it but some folks might say they are unsafe.

You probably don't need a new lock or trigger group.

These guns are so simple, there's just not that much that can't be fixed.

Soak the lock & trigger group in some kerosene or Liguid Wrench for a few days. If it breaks loose, just keep playing with it.

You can take the lock out. They have a coil spring, its not going anywhere. I took the plug out of my buddy's.54,he had the part that slips over the plug. Its a block of steel that you put the wrench on. We had the barrel in padded vise. If I remember it right it went counter clockwise to loosen. If you can find a .50 plug wrench to fit yours? And get yours off you will see how bad the barrel is. You could get a Green Mt for it. Dilly

For about 200 bucks,
personally, I would order a new barrel from Green Mountain or one of their vendors in the caliber I desired.
They are a 99.5% drop in for that gun, come with great sites and are fairly accurate out of the box.

I would then find a "Karma Correct" way to sell off the old barrel. I say this because the sights, pipes, under rib ect have value to some and it might offset your new barrel purchase. just be honest about it!

Thank you ALL for your replies. They each contain a wealth of knowledge! I hadn't thought of the effect on the barrel of the previous owner's "water treatment." Wow, I will take your advise about a new barrel and will experiment with removing the breech plug. Also, thanks for the info re T/C's repair prices.

I'm not the sort that would sell a defective product to anyone. The T/C barrel will make a nice post for my grandson's bird feeder!

Again, thanks to all of you. I'll check Dixie about new barrels and report back.

Dan

The lock can be freed up by soaking in areo kroil. I have found that a days soaking in kroil will free up almost every thing that is rusted. Long stuck ( over a year ) balls can actually be stuck so tight that a steel rod will penetrate them rahter than drive them out,even if you do remove the breech plug. Breech plugs can be removed by wraping the barrel with leather , putting in vise and using a breech plug wrench. Again a good soaking with kroil is recommended.It is truely surprising how well some barrels will shoot when cleaned up from being rusted.

Thanks greatly for the advice, Ohio. I don't have a breech plug wrench and thought I'd just wrap that area in leather and use a plumbers' wrench. Would you suggest otherwise???

Dan

Hello Boar,

Can you suggest where I could find a breech plug wrench? I was simply going to use a plumbers' wrench - - - big one.

Dan

Back