• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replacement lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueDuck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys,
Does anyone make a replacement lock for a Lyman Deerstalker? I've been shooting this rifle much and it is fairly reliable, but I'm looking to make it more consistent in ignition. It looks like my frizen is gouged pretty good (feels rough under my thumb). I'm thinking a new lock would help me out. I'm using goex 3f powder and 3/4" Tom Fuller flints (works well for range work)....but I do get the occasional failure to fire (no flash in the pan)......I'd say once in every eight shots or so. Do you guys think a new lock is in order? I've been trying all the tricks I've read about on here (keeping the flint sharp, keeping the pan smooth/dry, banking the powder away from the touch hole, etc...). Thanks for your input.
BlueDuck

BlueDuck said:
Guys,
Does anyone make a replacement lock for a Lyman Deerstalker? I've been shooting this rifle much and it is fairly reliable, but I'm looking to make it more consistent in ignition. It looks like my frizen is gouged pretty good (feels rough under my thumb). I'm thinking a new lock would help me out. I'm using goex 3f powder and 3/4" Tom Fuller flints (works well for range work)....but I do get the occasional failure to fire (no flash in the pan)......I'd say once in every eight shots or so. Do you guys think a new lock is in order? I've been trying all the tricks I've read about on here (keeping the flint sharp, keeping the pan smooth/dry, banking the powder away from the touch hole, etc...). Thanks for your input.
BlueDuck
Blueduck,
I crossed the same Bridge that your on with my Deerstalker 6 or 7 years ago.I tried everything to make that lock work but all I got was frustrated.Eventually I ended up getting the RPL 05 FROM L&R LOCKS.That is one great lock and now I enjoy shooting flintlock as much as caplock.

Here she is all curled up on the bed resting....
DeercampicturesAugust08098.jpg

Halftail,
Did you have to modify the stock on your rifle to make it fit? The back of the lock on my Deer Stalker is very round and some of the replacement locks I have seen are tapered and pointy. Thanks for the info...there may be hope.
BlueDuck

Blueduck,
You see the lock in the picture?That's the Deer stalker with the replacement in.There was no modifications needed on the fit for the lockplate just a little wood had to be removed from the inside to make it fit.If I remember right I had to remove just a little wood to allow for the Hammer to travell freely.I was ready to give up on flintlocks untill I replaced the lock.I killed my first deer with it last fall...
DeerHunting08001.jpg

Halftail,
I'm sold! Ill show my ignorance, does the lock attach to the barel in any fasion? Did you have to heat treat the lock at all? Unfortunately I'm in afghanistan for a bit but I'm going to swap out my lock as long as I don't have to attach the lock to the barel. Thanks much for your input!
BlueDuck

BlueDuck said:
Halftail,
I'm sold! Ill show my ignorance, does the lock attach to the barel in any fasion? Did you have to heat treat the lock at all? Unfortunately I'm in afghanistan for a bit but I'm going to swap out my lock as long as I don't have to attach the lock to the barel. Thanks much for your input!
BlueDuck
No....it only sets in the wood and is held in with one screw.Same as the existing lock.The lock is ready to shoot as is.Just need to install a flint in the jaws.Good luck over there man. :v

Halftail, do uou shoot round balls or conicals out of your rifle? I'm not getting good accuracy with hornady round balls, but get good accuracy with sabots/TC shockwaves. I've still got some testing to do for sure as I would prefer to shoot round balls....or at least lead conicals. Not enough time before deer season comes around!

Blueduck,
I shoot a .490 Roundball and a .020 patch.I get pretty good accuracy with that and 70 grains of 3f.When I say pretty good I mean under 2 inches at 50 yds off of a rest.Good enough for deer I guess but not going to win many "Shoots" with that load.

Halftail,
I have one last question. What size flint do you use in your replacement lock? Thanks again for all the feed back.
BlueDuck

Back