• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replacement lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbiros

32 Cal.
Reaction score
is there a replacement lock that will fita traditions flintlock......or a fix sometimes when the trigger is pulled it falls to halfcock, instead of firing....i thought the lock screws were to tight and torqued the plate....loosened them a bit and seems fine, but who doesn't like a new lock.....lol

Thank you , that looks like a lot better quality than the one that is on it now.

A top quality lock is a delightful thing to have on any Flint Lock Rifle. Regardless of quality however, it is not uncommon for most modern flintlocks to require at least some tuning before they function optimally! With some effort even the Flint Locks of less than top-drawer quality can be tweaked to preform reasonably well. Remove the lock and check to see if the fly wobbles at its anchor point! Wobbling can allow the fly to become pushed inward allowing the sear to fall in the 1/2 cock notch! Check to see it the fly is long enough to reliably lift the sear nose over the 1/2-cock notch on it downward slow thumb held throw! Check to see if the fly is thrown forward of the full cock notch(EVERY TIME) as the sear moves over it into the full cock position. Any of these problems can result in the fly failing to function properly which can result in the sear falling in the I/2-cock notch particularly if the set trigger is used. Could be simply replacing the fly might correct the problem! Sometimes the roof-top shaped angles on the outermost portion of the fly have to be slightly altered to insure that the fly is pushed forward as the sear enters the 1/2-cock notch. A clean lock lightly lubed as recommended is a good thing, but using oils or greases that harden over time is much worse that using no oil at all! The latter condition can cause the fly to stick. Whatever is causing the lock to hang up in the 1/2-cock notch on firing should be corrected promptly as this type failure can cause part failures even in the best made Flint Locks! GOOD LUCK!

Ooops, that should have read "make sure that the fly is thrown well forward of the FULL-COCK NOTCH AS THE SEAR PASSES OVER THE FLY INTO THE FULL COCK NOTCH(i.e. the firing position! Sorry for all the extra confusion that " little big mistake" could have caused!

jbiros said:
is there a replacement lock that will fita traditions flintlock......or a fix sometimes when the trigger is pulled it falls to halfcock, instead of firing....i thought the lock screws were to tight and torqued the plate....loosened them a bit and seems fine, but who doesn't like a new lock.....lol
emphasis added

from what you describe, it might be the lock itself, and I would give the flye (fly - however you spell it - I never could spell gud anyhows) a careful examination as previously described (and it's a better description that I've been able to do, so go with it).

the "usual suspects:"
(a) a very thorough cleaning, and

(b) a light oiling of the bearing parts

(c) polish the internals if you're so inclined, and if you know what you're doing

but then, check to see that the lock mortise is not all wonky on you ... it might have been compressed by over- tightening the screws, or it might have worn over time, or your evil twin might have tried to 'improve' it a while back ... or it might just be the usual wear- and- tear ...

I had a really nice L&R lock which had already had all the polishing, etc. done to it and still wouldn't work at all well in the rifle, but did great on the bench ... tried the lampblack / lipstick routine and viola` - -I had managed to bugger up the mortise. Once I fixed my mistake, it worked fine.

good luck with your project, and make good smoke!

as I didnt see it mentioned, Just be advised that the replacement locks are seldom "drop in" and will probably require some inletting on your part. I bought one for a rifle of mine and it sits in limbo as I didnt know what I was doing and screwed up the mortise...now it needs a new stock. Just thought I would warn you in advance

RPL, no comparison to your stock lock. I'm a firm believer in a good quality lock. I have three rifles that each wear an RPL lock. However, they do require a fair amount of inleting and finish work for an overall reliable experience.

There is no fly in the tumbler, it relies on the trigger to push the sear high enough to not fall into the half cock notch.

Sounds like the fly is binding when the bridle is tight. Could be the fly is too thick, there is trash fouling the movement or something. Also the tip may be broken off. It has happened.

What i've found with L&R T.C. replacement locks is, they have teeth in the flint jaws that hold flints in place better then any other lock i have even Chambers locks.
they did have trouble with main springs but seem to have that fixed.
also they are real reliable with smaller flints.
real good lock!

jbiros said:
There is no fly in the tumbler, it relies on the trigger to push the sear high enough to not fall into the half cock notch.
You may be right but if your gun has double set triggers, it should have a fly in the tumbler.

Even if it has a simple, single trigger the absence of a fly would surprise me.

So many of the different models of the rifles Traditions imports have set triggers I would think Aredesa, who makes the guns would just put a fly into all of the locks they install.
The fly's don't cost a great deal and by installing a fly in all of their locks they don't have to worry about building and stocking two different kinds of locks.

No this is a single trigger, with no fly.....about ready to give up on her and build or buy something better.

Let the grand kids shoot it with light loads at the range.

I'd trash your current lock.

I will add my voice to those who suggest the L&R replacement lock for your rifle. Granted there may be a bit of inletting work in the lock recess, but it is hidden, so even if you make a small flub, no one but you will know.

These replacement locks have better geometry: the way the hammer & flint stroke the frizzen and the curve of the frizzen to assure the most sparks. You will likely also find the action is much crisper and faster than your original.

Latest posts

Back