• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement Powders:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momsworry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this may be blaspheme to many, but I have to ask. With powders such as American Pioneer and Triple Seven being so easy to procure, has anyone had good success using these powders in a flinter? I'm talking about using a good authentic black FFFG or FFFFG priming powder, and maybe perhaps a few grains of the same down the bore as a sort of "spark plug" load to light off the main charge of one of the replacement powders? Ok, I'll sign off with that and put on my manure resistant rain coat for all of the stuff that will be no doubt flying my way.

The flash point between Goex BP and 777 is to far spread.
The fff or ff Goex you put down the barrel first would go when the flash from the pan prime reached it and then the 777 would go off later.. not a consistant burn . I have never had luck doing it and haveing it ignite correctly... beside once you use Goex there is no going back to pyrodex .
If you have someone you know doing a volcano sicence project, do yourself a favor and them,.... give them the
pyrodex. :)and use goex for the ML

Woody

I know this may be blaspheme to many, but I have to ask. With powders such as American Pioneer and Triple Seven being so easy to procure, has anyone had good success using these powders in a flinter? I'm talking about using a good authentic black FFFG or FFFFG priming powder, and maybe perhaps a few grains of the same down the bore as a sort of "spark plug" load to light off the main charge of one of the replacement powders? Ok, I'll sign off with that and put on my manure resistant rain coat for all of the stuff that will be no doubt flying my way.

You already know the answer to that question and you know that there are strong feelings about it here. You've obviously read more than a few comments about it. That's a technique that is known in forums as "trolling". :nono:

If you're switching from a BP substitute as I did when I switched to Flintlocks, I went from Pyrodex RS to Goex and had a few lbs of Pyrodex left over that I did not want to waste.

I tried layered loads of 20grns Goex down bore, followed by 50-60grns Pyrodex RS...worked perfectly, accurate, consistent, etc, and I used up some of the Pyrodex.

However, I soon tired of fooling with the two different types of powder, the extra time involved, the chance for error, etc, and after a couple range trips, stopped doing it.

The good news is I later got a .12ga SxS percussion smoothbore and I'm using up the leftover Pyrodex RS that way.

If you can't find real BP locally, a couple places sell loose cans with a 5 can minimum...like Graf & Sons, or PowderInc...that's how I got started...ordered a can of FFFFg and half dozen cans of FFFg.

If you ever switch to something like Goex, you'll never go back to BP substitutes...it has four outstanding qualities: It's fast, clean, accurate, and reasonably priced...Enjoy!

There's something called Blag Mag3 on the market at a ferocious price. The manufacturer assured me, both in the on-line ads and in a phone call, that the stuff would work in a flintlock. I primed with 4F Goex and worked and worked at it. The stuff sure did clean up as advertised but I got at least one misfire out of every four tries. Gave up and went back to Goex 3F in my .50 T/C Hawken flinter. Haven't had a misfire since, despite shooting in some pretty damp weather. At least the Pyrodex folk, when I asked in an e-mail, told me to stick to real black poweder in a flintlock. graybeard :imo:

Excellent answer roundball and graybeard.

As to the question, I really don't see it as trolling.
Every day we get a lot of new members, and some of those members have not taken the time to look thru the thousands of posts here.
Some, I suspect, haven't used the SEARCH feature, and even if they did, it too would show hundreds of posts dealing with the substitute powders, a few of which might answer the question, but most would be about other issues.

Although some of our members have mentioned they get tired of seeing "the same old questions and the same old answers", Claude has made it clear that he feels that permitting repeated questions not only make new members feel welcome but because of our growing membership, the knowledge base is increasing so we often hear new information from the newcomers. :)

Back