• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Resizing Bullets for Paper Patching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregJohn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 45 calibre underhammer muzzle loader, that I am trying to paper patch and achieve accuracy. Rifle Bore Size is slugged at.4507865 calibre.
The projectile I am casting is .450 and weighs 383 grains
Paul Matthews book "the Paper Jacket" recommends an allowance of .009 for paper patching. Giving a resizing of .4417865, say .442.

This seems a little tight for the paper I intend to use which is the onion paper from old dress patterns.

Does anyone else paper patch and would like to comment or recommend the resizing die I should use.

GregJohn said:
I have a 45 calibre underhammer muzzle loader, that I am trying to paper patch and achieve accuracy. Rifle Bore Size is slugged at.4507865 calibre.
The projectile I am casting is .450 and weighs 383 grains
Paul Matthews book "the Paper Jacket" recommends an allowance of .009 for paper patching. Giving a resizing of .4417865, say .442.

This seems a little tight for the paper I intend to use which is the onion paper from old dress patterns.

Does anyone else paper patch and would like to comment or recommend the resizing die I should use.

So are you planning to size the naked bullet to .442?

I have a couple of .451 Green Mountain barrels. I am using a RCBS 11mm rifle bullet. they coule out of the mould at .446 and weigh 408 to 409 grains. I wrap them with two wraps of 9# onion skin. Then I size them dry to .446 with a push through sizer die. The sizer just presses the paper on. They shoot great out of my guns. What is the rate of twist on your gun? Ron

RCBS11mm405gr446.jpg

I suggest you measure the thickness of your paper and then do a little calculating rather than using an arbitrary number picked out of a book.

The dress pattern paper I used measured .0013 thick so two wraps of it adds .0052 to the bullet's diameter.
The pattern was made by "Simplicity" years ago.

I'm using a grooveless paper patched bullet that is .3950 in diameter so the wrapped bullet is close to .4002.

The barrels bore on my Schuetzen is a .400 caliber so in a clean barrel the fit is just about line to line.

Being that paper is slightly compressible the bullet is about as close to a 'line to line' fit as is possible. It rams home easily with a light coating of Vasoline & Bees wax lube.

If your pattern paper is like mine, your bullet should be sized to .4445/.4450.
That would make the wrapped slug .4497-.4502.

If your a bit on the low side by a few thousandths it will probably "bump up" nicely and seal the bore if the bullet is made from pure lead.

Many thanks for the information on paper patching.
To answer your questions the rifle has a 1:24 twist.
The bullets are 383 grains in pure lead, flat bottomed with no grooves.
The dress pattern paper measures .048mm or .00189 inches.
I shall do the maths and hopefully produce a projectile that is consistently accurate.
Again thank you for the help.

Latest posts

Back