• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Effects of paper patched bullets on rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The larger caliber rifles .50-69 generally don’t wear down very quickly with great care.

I clean my guns obsessively after shooting them and then maintain the bores with barricade and marine grease. My only gun that rusts every know and then is the .32, the smaller bored guns are very difficult to keep clean and maintain.

I wash the ram rods with mineral oil and then wax them that way no carbon or residue sticks to them.

I have been shooting nothing but paper patched bullets for well over 12 years.
I never measured the depth of the grooves. All I can base my info on is the accuracy. Mine haven't seen any negative effects from paper.
That said, a lot of shooters look for paper with low ash content. I've been using 25% cotton. Recently I'm using a tracing paper that I'm unaware of its makeup.
I honestly don't think I will see an issue with paper wearing out my barrel in my lifetime.

Paper patch loads don’t shoot paper into bore the paper get burn in the chamber not the bore the only thing that should be touching bore would be the ball or bullet there is some ash from the Burt paper that generally in the chamber 😳
there is a good video by idahoron on you tube shows slow motion video of the paper patch coming off the bullet several feet from the bore. are you thinking of "wad" material,, cause the paper on paper patch bullets is what rides the lands & grooves & causes the bullet to spin without question..

Back