• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reusing shooting patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMPhoto

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the drawbacks, if any, of picking up your shooting patches, washing them and reusing? Are there any if they are not shot through or torn?

I have reused them. I just re-lubed them,as long as there were no tears or burn holes. I allways save my last cleaning patch for my next patch to clean after the next shot. Its a Scottish thing. Dilly

I re-use thick denim used in my Brown Bess without problem.

After you shoot it once, refrain from spit-patching! :rotf:

trent/OH said:
After you shoot it once, refrain from spit-patching! :rotf:

Best advice you are going to get on this subject!

Thats something you will only do once in your lifetime. Kinda like going snipe hunting for the first time if you know what I mean!

A while back I had a bunch of used cleaning patches accumulated....so being ch...Uhh, frugal, I put them in a mesh bag and washed them. My wife wasn't very happy with me as there were little threads all over the inside of the washing machine. That was the last time I did that! Now, maybe if you put the patches in something like a cut off panty hose, that would contain those errant threads.

They will work....particularly if you don't have any more new ones :shake:

it could be done and likely was in times of yor but now just cut a 100 useing drill press and formed circle saw - won't take ya' 1/2 hour when you are set up with the material folded 4X.
then soak 'em in lube and bag 'em. :thumbsup: about 3-4 range sessions ready to go.

Yes I do that too. Best cleaning patches I have used are Wife's flannel nite gowns she is done with. :) Dilly

Best cleaning patches I have used are Wife's flannel nite gowns she is done with.
-----

Now, THAT is one smart fella.
Trying to use your wife's flannel nite gown while she is still in it can lead to severe knots on your head. :rotf:

i use both sides of my cleaning patches. as far as shooting patches, i'd rather make my own, that way they are so cheap it doesn't matter. if you can make 5 patches for penny, why reuse them?

She is probably wondering why her nightgowns are getting shorter or she is getting taller lol. Boar dillys fashion house, sleeveless mini skirt, half collar sleeping wear. :rotf: All kidding aside my wife contributes alot to my hobbies, but she calls me a cheap butt. I did get some 100% cotton flannel at Joannes 1.99 on sale got the last 2 yards of cream. After wash its .0017 should work good. :thumbsup:

Back