• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle builders in greater cincinnati area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srottman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any rifle builder on the forum from northern ky or greater cincinnati area willing to help a first time builder :surrender:

Not in the area, but if you want to take a drive, spend the night, spend a day with a guy & then drive home with more knowledge that your brain can hold, drive to Cross Plains TN & see Tip Curtis & you will learn more in a day with him that you can ever imagine. Super nice guy, very knowledgable & always willing to help a feller out. and a Fabulous inventory of gun parts. (615) 654-4445 .

:thumbsup:

Birddog6 thanks for that information I have relatives in Tenn. maybe they are close by. I will look it up. I started shooting muzzleloaders a long time ago and have been away from it for 20 years.Never really built one except for a cva mountian rifle kit and now want to move up to kinda pre inlett on the stock all the guy around here that I knew of that were pretty good builders are all gone.I am reading a lot of books but would like to check some one out or get hands on advise. Thanks again for your help

I like Tip Curtis. Real nice guy. Has LOTS of stuff. Plus, he's only about an hour drive away from me! :grin:

If you don't mind the drive time,Jim Kibler and I have a free monthly class at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio. We gear this toward beginners and intermediate builders. You can e mail me if you want more information on it, or call the store at (330) 948-1082

Stophel said:
I like Tip Curtis. Real nice guy. Has LOTS of stuff. Plus, he's only about an hour drive away from me! :grin:

Oh lucky you......... Good thing I don't live that close to him, he would have to run me off !! ha ha ! :rotf: I get to the dang place & can't get out of there !!!!!! :rotf:

I stop buy when traveling thu & tell my wife "I am gonna stop at Tip's for just a minute"........ She will say "Oh yeah, ........... right......" :haha:

Two hours later I will get in the car & she will say "Had enough, huh ?"

I say " NO, I am out of money " !! :surrender: :wink:

birddog,
you are too modest.. I have seen your work.
You are a world class builder in your own right.
:bow:

I never met Tip, but he's always at Friendship so you can certainly ask questions there. If you live in the cincy area I would go over there next month for the spring shoot, I never miss it. A lot of gun builders will be there, who are more than willing to answer your questions. I talk quite a bit with gunbuilder Troy Roope, who owns Stonewall Creek outfitters. His mentor was Jim Hash and he's a good guy to talk to.

Mark,
thanks for the reply, I certianly plan on going to friendship.I may very well get my stock and parts there.

Well, if you are not sure of what you want to build, Tip will have about 50 built rifles there in his building for ya to shoulder & check out, give ya a feel of what best suits you. Plus there will be Hundreds of other rifles there to look at & shoulder & etc. You will find what ya like there. Now it may be not what your Eye wants, but best to have one that fits ya & shoulders correctly, rather than one that pleases your eye & ya can't shoot well..... :hmm:

Tip has 2-3 dif versions of Poorboys, TN & Southern rifles. Were I to build the TN one, I would do it with a Ketland lock or one of his new MG locks tht looks like a Ketland. It is more fitting to a TN rifle than a Siler. Tip is not the cheapest guy on the block, but he is competative & has a Great inventory & you can SEE WHAT YOU ARE GETTING, not take what is sent to you. Take a bore light & get a rod from him & jag & swab the barrel right then & there & insure it is OK and then pick a stock you like, pick the hardware that has few casting voids, etc. I will be there at Friendship on Sat. if you need some help. Email me at [email protected] if you want some guidance on any of it. Put Muzzleloader/Friendship in the subject line so the spam blocker doesn't get it. I would be glad to help you pick some parts or just show you some dif things if you are not ready to buy yet.

:thumbsup:

Birddog6 thanks for the offer to help me. guys like you are what make this forum great. I wont be able to get to friendship untill Monday or Tues. I will certianly take your advise.

Back