• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle/ caliber recommodation for pigs and small game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHI

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of flintlock rifle and caliber would you recommend for somebody who is recoil sensitve and wants one flintlock rifle for target shooting, small game and wild pigs ( the minimum required by law is 40). ?? Thanks!

I think that a 45 would serve you well. You can bring the charge up or down as you need to and also you would probably want some type of conical for pigs.

I agree the .45 cal as and great choice and have seen many wild hogs brought down on the spot with PRB in the .45 cal.

I think the .50 caliber is perfect for your needs if the state laws allow a .50 for small game; mine doesn't. Your going to be head shooting your small game anyway so the bigger ball isn't that big of a deal breaker. You can load it from 30 to 120 grains for power, accuracy, and recoil at whatever level you want for the task at hand. Not only that but it's the most common caliber so you can pick stuff up locally much easier than some of the other calibers.

Yup, good trend in the answers here. In addition to state laws about small game, you have to take into account the nature of your pig country. If it's mostly open country or pigs coming to defined locations like feeders, you can get away with pretty small calibers if coupled with clean broadside shots at still animals. In tighter cover and odd angle shooting, you'll need bigger. In the open terrain a 45 would be dandy. In tighter shooting conditions I'd be happiest with a 54 at a minimum. If state law sezz smaller than that for small game, you might be looking at two barrels to meet your needs.

PHI said:
What kind of flintlock rifle and caliber would you recommend for somebody who is recoil sensitve and wants one flintlock rifle for target shooting, small game and wild pigs ( the minimum required by law is 40). ?? Thanks!

Hands down, get the .40cal and I'll explain why I think that.

1) I suspect that month in and month out you're going to mainly be enjoying shooting targets, plinking, etc.
The .40cal is ideal for that as it has virtually no recoil and would be more economical than any larger caliber.

2) Then you'll probably take the next most amount of shots at small game...squirrels/rabbits/coyotes, etc.

3) Lastly...compared to the amount of shots you'll probably actually take at hogs, you can figure a way to ensure you only take a shot where you can put the ball in his ear, dead hog.

If I was faced with what you described, the .40cal would be my choice...and I have a .40cal Late Lancaster, 38" barrel, proverbial tack driver, can shoot all day and never feel it either in the shoulder or the pocketbook.

As always Roundball gives some great advice. I'd get a .40 for all the reasons Roundball gave. Then I'd get a 50 or 54 for deer and hogs. Once you've that, you can start dreaming about 32's, 36's and 45's.

Rat Trapper said:
As always Roundball gives some great advice. I'd get a .40 for all the reasons Roundball gave. Then I'd get a 50 or 54 for deer and hogs. Once you've that, you can start dreaming about 32's, 36's and 45's.
And .58s and .62s...LOL

(I assumed he already knew this was an addictive hobby, for which there is no cure)

Back