• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Calibures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigger guns make bigger holes, but it is still about shot placement.

:agree: :thumbsup:

Frankly, I've had more deer run after the shot (with text book shot placement) with a roundball than any other projectile regardless of caliber.

Which is why I don't hunt deer with less than .54 cal and a PRB.

Sure a larger RB makes a larger hole but really, if you are not into the top end of the heart, spine or head shot, deer can do a bunch of running around. Even with broken limbs and bones.

Ballistic-wise (and I'm not the Mr. Spock) once you get past 54 caliber, ballistics tend to drop off as you increase in caliber unless you can correspondingly increase powder charges. Which would also eventually put you over the safe loading of the rifle if you wanted to maintain ballistic equivalent or superiority.

:imo: :m2c:

Bigger guns make bigger holes, but it is still about shot placement.

:agree: :thumbsup:

Frankly, I've had more deer run after the shot (with text book shot placement) with a roundball than any other projectile regardless of caliber.

Which is why I don't hunt deer with less than .54 cal and a PRB.

Sure a larger RB makes a larger hole but really, if you are not into the top end of the heart, spine or head shot, deer can do a bunch of running around. Even with broken limbs and bones.

Ballistic-wise (and I'm not the Mr. Spock) once you get past 54 caliber, ballistics tend to drop off as you increase in caliber unless you can correspondingly increase powder charges. Which would also eventually put you over the safe loading of the rifle if you wanted to maintain ballistic equivalent or superiority.
:imo: :m2c:

Just to share another set of experiences with patched balls, particularly the .45cal...I've been fortunate to have enough deer come in front of me the past three years hunting with a flintlock that I've filled all 6 tags each year...4 bucks and 2 Does...using patched balls in .45/.50/.54/.58 calibers for all of them except one where I used a .45cal 255grn maxi-hunter.

All were direct heart shots and they either dropped where they stood or fell within sight of me after a short 25yd sprint.

One buck with the .45cal was standing at 55yds...the second buck and a doe with a .45cal were both within 25yds of me while sitting on the ground squirrel hunting, with a 40grn charge in the .45cal.

Heart shot both of them and they both fell within sight 25-35yds away...the performance of the little squirrel load at that close distance was probably about the same as a full power load at longer ranges.

Love the .45cal but am always conscious that it doesn't carry much energy at longer distances compared to a .50/.54

I have always thought of a Heart shot as a near miss! Shooting the old smooth bore 12 ga, with foster style slugs and archery, I have always aimed for the "middle of the middle" it is a habbit that is hard to break. It doesn't really matter what you shoot them with thru both lungs with, they will still run 60-70yds, just some leave bigger blood trails!

I have always thought of a Heart shot as a near miss! Shooting the old smooth bore 12 ga, with foster style slugs and archery, I have always aimed for the "middle of the middle" it is a habbit that is hard to break. It doesn't really matter what you shoot them with thru both lungs with, they will still run 60-70yds, just some leave bigger blood trails!

I was raised on 'go for the heart'...got away from it in my early years with high powered rifles as the high shoulder shot was my favorite...shock power alone would drop them in their tracks.

But later on with close in bow hunting and muzzleloading, I refocused on the heart...can still hear my Grandfather to this day..."take out the pump and he ain't goin' nowhere".

Where I hunt, most flintlock shots aren't much longer than a typical bow shot...easy to whistle stop them and put the bead right on it...and talk about hard to break habits...I practiced to make head shots on squirrels for several weekends last summer, and when I got my first flintlock squirrel, without even thinking, I lined up and shot it just like it was a tiny deer !!
:redthumb:

I did take the top of the heart off this year with my "pistol". Blew him side ways and he never recovered to all fours.

It is hard to shoot low, but makes a difference if you have confidence in the accuracy of your gun!

Pistol Picture

I did take the top of the heart off this year with my "pistol". Blew him side ways and he never recovered to all fours.

It is hard to shoot low, but makes a difference if you have confidence in the accuracy of your gun!

Pistol Picture

Yeah, the heart is very low, laying on the sternum, I zero my muzzleloaders for dead on at 50yds, 99% of the shots are within that

Back