• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle fit opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarcasmn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a rifle kit. I have a Lyman Deerstalker percussion rifle and so far I find it perfect for hunting. It's light and easy to handle. I cut about an inch off the stock to make it fit me.

Now I want to try a flintlock. I am looking at the Lyman Great Plains kit and the halfstock Hawken kit from Jedidiah Star. Here is my dilema.

I am 5'7" with a 44 inch chest. My length of pull is about 13.5 inches. I realize that you place the crescent stock differently than you would a modern rifle stock. I am sure I will still have to cut the stock down to fit me.

The Star Hawken has a 36 inch barrel. Will cutting the stock down make it balance badly? The Lyman has a 32" barrel and I am thinking it will balance better as a shorter rifle.

What do you folks think?

Have you tried the fit by mounting the rifle off your inner bicep?

If you did shorten the pull, that would probably shift the center of gravity for the rifle out towards the muzzle just a bit. How much of a difference did it make on the last rifle you did that to?

The Deerstalker fits well but it only has a 24 inch barrel and the rifle is designed to shoulder shotgun style like a modern rifle. It actually made it a little more muzzle heavy which helps steady it for offhand shots.

I am not sure what shortening a rifle designed to shoulder at the bicep would be like modified to fit me. The literature claims it's designed for someone 5'10 or larger.

Shortening the rifle an inch or so will actually move the center of gravity back. All you are removing is wood and it doesn't weigh much.

Not to say the rifle won't be muzzle heavy anyway as you are dealing with a long staight barrel. If you shorten it and still find it ungainly than an easier and better option to changing the center of ballance is to add weight in the butt stock. Shortening the barrel requires recrowning it, moving the front sight, shortening the rib, moving the thimbles so they are still evenly placed, and then refinishing.

To add weight drill a hole/s lengthwise in the buttstock and add lead or some other dense material before you reinstall your butt plate.

As an aside, depending on how much wood you remove the supplied butt plate may require a lot of work as it may need to be reduced in size.....the stock tapers down in every direction as it moves forward. Sometimes a new plate is in order.

Enjoy, J.D.

I am your height but not big or muscular. I understand the desire for a shorter pull. Cutting an inch off the stock will bring the center of balance back and put more weight in your hands instead of hanging out front. That 36" barrel certain can be handled by a lot of people but some might find it too 'barrel heavy'. I say, try it. If the balance is not right for you a hacksaw can solved the issue.
BTW, a shoter pull, for me, is handy in hunting seasons. Heavy clothes put the stock further away from the body than when at the range in t-shirt weather. That changes your hold and sight picture.

Rifleman1776 said:
BTW, a shoter pull, for me, is handy in hunting seasons. Heavy clothes put the stock further away from the body than when at the range in t-shirt weather. That changes your hold and sight picture.

That's a real important distinction.

I go the other way in physique at 6'4" and 220# with long gangly arms. In shirt sleeves a 13 1/2" pull is about as uncomfortable to me as a wedgie. My light 62 cal has that plus a crescent butt. It eats me alive in shirt sleeves. But put on a heavy hunting coat, and it's a better fit than my usual 14 5/8".

Latest posts

Back