• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle loading stand and wood cases?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody know who makes wooden rifle loading stands and maybe wood transport cases?

I'm about to pay off my Parker Hale Volunteer Rifle and I need the "range stuff" to do it right :)

I'd be happy at this point with finding a small "rifle rack" for 2-3 rifles and just using that, the rest I can build or put together.

The Volunteer isn't a "hold it muzzle up in left hand while you fish around for loading stuff " type rifle :)

The "britishrifleman" on YouTube made this storage box/stand and I thought it was the neatest thing ever.

If this video doesn't look like a fun range day I don't think you can call yourself a muzzleloading enthusiast :)

IMG-20110823-00018-HA-36-cal.jpg

I didn't build it but it shouldn't be that hard too make one if you have the correct tooling and a little wood working knowledge..

I wish he had mentioned why he swabs after the powder charge is in place, instead of before. I can guess at why, but it would've been interesting to hear his reason as he's thought out so much of the loading process.

LD

C8A34434-1F3F-4DFD-9871-0092C675C8E9.jpeg
6FA716ED-42CA-4FE0-9FF3-4E1AD95C7FDE.jpeg

Here’s a simple cart that I threw together for transporting my shooting equipment from the truck too the range bench....

The bottom “box” would hold my bench shooting bag and the guns were held upright by a set of four wheeler gun racks mounted too the handle with a u- bolt.
Not Traditional .... but it worked.
I did add a piece of thin plywood too the bottom of the plastic box for added support.

ED7494F9-A8B5-4A94-9BF3-9DE8C9C6154C.jpeg
The SASS guys take their carts to an art form. One pictured here sold in the last day for $100. It was the first one that popped up when I did a search on their forum. Go there and you will find pictures and plans for ideas. As big as you want or fold downs that will fit in a Mini Cooper.

Attachments

• 520FC46F-D8C0-4AC0-BCB0-B48CDF686BFD.jpeg
    520FC46F-D8C0-4AC0-BCB0-B48CDF686BFD.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 65
my transport case. rough on the outside...recycled pine, tray foam and upholstery cloth

Don't do much range shooting, have two spots close by the house , I just grab my shooting bag and powder horn and throw the target stand and staple gun in the back of the pickup truck and good to go.

Hi,
If you do an internet search for "Making an 18th century pistol case" you will see a 5-part tutorial on making an authentic British gun case, either for pistols or long guns. The principles are the same for 19th century cases except the lid handle was round and recessed into the wood. Oak was the primary wood used in the mid 19th century but very fine guns often were cased in mahogany. Authentic wooden cases for British military match rifles were usually unlined. The inside of the case was simply finished wood.

dave

Very Nice, if you find time, could you provide a direct link to those plans and ideas?
Don’t have link to plans for the pictured cart. I just pulled photo from the SASSNET for sale area.

At one time (maybe 10 years ago) there was a link on the SASS forum to a series of plans by the SASS member Rolan Kraps, but couldn’t find it now. Suggest you contact him or search though his posts. Below is a link to a topic on gun cart plans started by Rolan.

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/254276-new-gun-cart-plans/

Back